TextPad 6.1 is released

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bbadmin
Site Admin

TextPad 6.1 is released

Post by bbadmin »

TextPad 6.1 is now available from our download page. Please read the release notes for details.

As usual, there is no charge for existing customers to upgrade.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Last edited by bbadmin on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

TextPad's download page says:
After you have downloaded the zip file, extract the MSI file, run it and follow the instructions.

When I do this I am told:
Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

Is that really necessary?
hladikz

Post by hladikz »

See http://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=11983
ben_josephs wrote:TextPad's download page says:
After you have downloaded the zip file, extract the MSI file, run it and follow the instructions.

When I do this I am told:
Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

Is that really necessary?
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Yes. My question is: is it really necessary to do that?
hladikz

Post by hladikz »

Probably this is bug. I hope it will be fixed in next release.....

As I googled - Error 1648 - refuse to install if other version exist - (you can see it after unsuccesful update in eventvwr log viewer) is quite common problem in msi packaging, may be MS poorly documented MSI packaging options?
ben_josephs wrote:Yes. My question is: is it really necessary to do that?
DCB

Post by DCB »

I look forward to a re-release of 6.1 (6.11?) with the MSI problem fixed.
lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

I look more forward to a release that correct the syntax highlighting problem -- that I sent but have received nothing back.

and the continuing problem of right-click open with Textpad opening a new document as well as the document you want.

The .msi problem is a one-time thing when you install. The others are every day.
Linda
IconMatrix

TextPad 6

Post by IconMatrix »

I've used the trial versions a lot over the years and it has always been the best even with the few issues it has had. I've tried all the free editors and I just don't like them as much. TextPad has probably saved me hundreds of hours of work compared to simple text editors like Notepad. So I'm glad to have taken the plunge and purchased the latest version. I had no problems downloading or installing it on Win7 32, and received my license key by email within a minitute or so of submitting payment.

Issue with Version 6.1 ( 32 bit ):

I created the document class CSS and the file type *.CSS so I could apply color preferences, however TextPad 6 doesn't seem to recognize CSS comments when applying colors ... e.g. the line /* COMMON - SHARED CSS */ does not use the colors assigned to either of the available comment preferences.

If this is a user issue please let me know how to make it work, if not, then I look forward to a fix as the program evolves.

Suggestion: Maybe consider some new package deals for TexPad/Wildedit mult-user combos. Even though TextPad is very good, the free programs are keeping people away from it. TextPad would probably see an increase in sales and profits by creating a 5 user license combo pack with TextPad and Wildedit for $49.95 ( USD ). Yes it's less that it sells for now on a per license basis, but still fair and more attractive, especially when it only takes about 5 minutes to find free programs or pirate versions. Give honest customers and trial users a bit more incentive and it would probably pay off.

Feature Suggestion: A toolbar icon editor to create or import custom toolbar icons, but please keep the drag and drop method as it is preferable to the two panel "Add/Remove/Move up/Move Down" method.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Suggestions should be posted in the Enhancement Suggestions forum. (Just don't expect them to be taken up.)
lornova

Post by lornova »

lklawrie wrote:I look more forward to a release that correct the syntax highlighting problem -- that I sent but have received nothing back.

and the continuing problem of right-click open with Textpad opening a new document as well as the document you want.

The .msi problem is a one-time thing when you install. The others are every day.
I absolutely agree, the right-click issue is a showstopper for me, I had to rollback to 5.4.2.

I also hate the new look and feel.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

lornova wrote:I also hate the new look and feel.
If you're referring to the new colour scheme introduced in 6.0 (now there's a feature I don't recall anyone asking for), you can change it in 6.1 under View > Appearance.