Could Not Upgrade From 6.0 To 6.1 By Running The New .msi

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kengrubb

Could Not Upgrade From 6.0 To 6.1 By Running The New .msi

Post by kengrubb »

Because I am the champion of TP in my office, I upgrade to the latest greatest and make myself the guinea pig.

I was able to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1, but not by downloading and running the new .msi file.

I extracted the 6.1 .msi to the location where I had the 6.0 .msi, and then went through Control Panel, Add/Remove, and did a Repair of TP. That upgraded me to 6.1

Now when I run the 6.1 .msi file, it will run and offer up Modify, Repair, Remove. However, when I had 6.0, the 6.1 .msi would not run.

WinXP SP3
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
hladikz

Re: Could Not Upgrade From 6.0 To 6.1 By Running The New .ms

Post by hladikz »

May be some error in MSI packaging config or some dificulties to implement msi update?

Workaround:

uninstall

Code: Select all

MsiExec.exe /X{3F04067F-0DA5-4F48-9A89-6FCFD2A9E040} /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress
and install new one msi:

Code: Select all

msiexec  /norestart /passive /quiet  /i "textpad 6.msi"
It keeps config and license untouched...

kengrubb wrote:Because I am the champion of TP in my office, I upgrade to the latest greatest and make myself the guinea pig.

I was able to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1, but not by downloading and running the new .msi file.

I extracted the 6.1 .msi to the location where I had the 6.0 .msi, and then went through Control Panel, Add/Remove, and did a Repair of TP. That upgraded me to 6.1

Now when I run the 6.1 .msi file, it will run and offer up Modify, Repair, Remove. However, when I had 6.0, the 6.1 .msi would not run.

WinXP SP3
John Wingfield

Same issue here

Post by John Wingfield »

Your workaround worked perfectly and upgraded without losing anything. Thanks a lot!!
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

hladikz,

Great info. Much appreciated.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
Quatrix

Post by Quatrix »

Isn't that the same as uninstalling from Add/Remove (which is what the error message instructs you to do anyway)?
hladikz

Post by hladikz »

Sure it is. But you save bunch of keyborad presses.
For company wide upgrade it is reasonable time saver...

There are lot of unattended install specialized sites where you can find info about install/unistall automation. Some are quite tricky, Textpad is clear...

Quatrix wrote:Isn't that the same as uninstalling from Add/Remove (which is what the error message instructs you to do anyway)?