Zero vs Oh

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

grahamf

Zero vs Oh

Post by grahamf »

Is there any way in Textpad to better distinguish between a 0 an O or o? Like using a zero with slash (Ansi 216)? Sometimes my code contains the two together.

Thanks,

Graham
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I think the only way is to choose a font that better distinguishes between these characters (I use Courier New myself). Fixedsys renders the zero with a slash, if you don't mind TextPad looking like a Windows 2.0 app!

Andrew
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

That's the main reason I use Andale Mono, which renders a 0 with a centered dot. I, l and 1 are very distinguishable as well.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
grahamf

Post by grahamf »

Thank you for the replies.

I downloaded Andale Mono from Microsoft but didn't find that it had the dot in the middle. However, now that I know there is no other way except a new font, I will start looking for one.

Thanks again,
Graham
agnul

Post by agnul »

Take a look at the "Consolas" font from Microsoft. Should come bundled with the new VisualStudio releases (2005 and 2008, the "express" ones should do) and maybe with Vista.
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

No dot, how's that possible? Mine looks like this:
Britt

Post by Britt »

agnul wrote:Take a look at the "Consolas" font from Microsoft. Should come bundled with the new VisualStudio releases (2005 and 2008, the "express" ones should do) and maybe with Vista.
Yes, Consolas is very good, but mostly on LCD monitors with ClearType font smoothing turned on. It provides a 0 (zero) with a slash through it. It can be installed on XP by installing the Office 2007 compatibility pack from Microsoft.

- Britt