Netbeans upset my machine (I think)

Using the Java SDK with TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bob.godzicz

Netbeans upset my machine (I think)

Post by bob.godzicz »

Hi all
I install java 1.4 and texpad a number of years ago, and everything worked fine
After a couple of years I decided to try NetBeans and from there everything went downhill.

I subsequently removed Netbeans via the Windows XP control panel and reinstalled Java and Textpad in that order.

With latest version of Java 1.6-7 and Textpad 5.2 I can compile Java apps and run them, but when I try to run Applets It compiles but when it runs all I get is a black console window with the message 'Press any key to Continue'

I have a load of students work to mark and the inability to run their code is causing major hair loss!

Any comments????
agnul

Post by agnul »

Open the preferences dialog and check the command line for the "run java applet" tool, and then try to run the same command in a console window. Check for errors and fix them. (Most likely cause? appletviewer not found inside the command PATH).

Hope that helps...
bob.godzicz

Netbeans Killed my machine (I think)

Post by bob.godzicz »

Thanks Angul
for your very prompt reply, I am very impressed.

Textpad version is 5.2.0

I have checked the path in 'Configure/Preferences/tools/appletviewer and it matches the location of the viewer.

In this version it is called 'Tools/Appletviewer' The only option I can see is the 'Run Minimised' option which produces the same result, ie console window with the message 'Press a key to continue' albeit minimised.

The parameters are $File and the Initial Folder is $FileDir
bob.godzicz

Post by bob.godzicz »

Success

I must admit I did not quite understand your instructions about 'Run Java Applet'. My Preferences options did not show that.

However, after ressurection an old Sonio Vaio and installing everything from scratch, I discuvered the 'Add' button on the Preferences screen for tools. Netbeans, or something, had reconfigured at the shortcutkeys.

However, I am now back on track and have marked the first batch of the students work. They might not be as happy as me.

Thanks again