Tiling windows Vertically or Horizontally

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Murray Sobol

Tiling windows Vertically or Horizontally

Post by Murray Sobol »

When I select 2 domument to be tiled (horizontally or vertically), ALL documents are tiled, instead of ONLY the selected documents.
I believe that this a regression form 4.7.3.
HungNguyen

Post by HungNguyen »

After files are selected in Document Selector pane, the Tile Horizontal/Vertical commands are available via right click. I also thought this was a "new feature" at first and it took me a while to find where they are.
oneto

Post by oneto »

I would prefer to be able to use the Tile Horizontal/Vertical Icons with selected documents/tabs since I never remember if Vertical means vertical shaped windows side by side or horizontal windows one above the other :?:
Murray Sobol

Clarification

Post by Murray Sobol »

I am using the following steps to create the above situation:
1. Open several files.
2. Highlight 2 files.
3. Window -> Tile Horizontally
At this point, ALL files are tiled, instead of ONLY the selected files.
This is the original error that I was trying to report.
Several posters have shown me that the solution described below behaves as expected.
I do agree, however, that if I repeat steps 1 and 2, and Right Mouse click and select Tile Horizontally, it works as expected.
I was pointing out the above situation as an INCONSISTENCY for a specified Feature within the product.
pinkink

At least you can tile!

Post by pinkink »

At least you can tile files ...

Window, context and button menu options remain greyed out in my installation of 5.0.3 whatever is selected ...

This is such a basic functional requirement that I'll be forced to retrograde to 4.7.3 ... 5.0.x is useless without.
lgpiper

Re: At least you can tile!

Post by lgpiper »

pinkink wrote:At least you can tile files ...

Window, context and button menu options remain greyed out in my installation of 5.0.3 whatever is selected ...

This is such a basic functional requirement that I'll be forced to retrograde to 4.7.3 ... 5.0.x is useless without.
Well, probably you can tile too. It turns out that tiling works so long as you don't have document tabs enabled. You can have one or the other. A pretty bad usability hit, I think.
pinkink

Post by pinkink »

lgpiper wrote:Well, probably you can tile too. It turns out that tiling works so long as you don't have document tabs enabled. You can have one or the other. A pretty bad usability hit, I think.
Well, I'll be darned - you're right.

That's definitely a retrograde.
DrOctopu5

Post by DrOctopu5 »

lgpiper wrote:
pinkink wrote:At least you can tile files ...

Well, probably you can tile too. It turns out that tiling works so long as you don't have document tabs enabled. You can have one or the other. A pretty bad usability hit, I think.
You can disable the document tabs? I've been trying - I can't find that anywhere.

Hate the tabs. I just want a working document selector.

[EDIT] Sorry, I just figured it out. For the record, View > Document Tabs.