5.0.2 feedback

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bveldkamp

5.0.2 feedback

Post by bveldkamp »

Here's some feedback on 5.0.2. It seems a lot of issues have been solved, but there's still work to do...
  • 1. Can't place "User tool" directly on the Tools menu, when dragging it there, it just disappears. The only way to get it back is to reset the main menu bar entirely, but this leaves "User tool" under External Tools.
    2. The Search Results window is still garbled. The Tool Output window is garbled until after one tool is run.
    3. After a user tool completes, the statusbar shows the well-known block character, something like "[][]The tool finished with exit code 1[][]" where [] is a box symbol. BTW I couldn't reproduce this on XP Home, but it does happen on 2K.
    4. Double clicking on a tool output (i.e. on an error) should IMO activate the editor window. Now the cursor is moved to the line in question, but focus is elsewhere. When the tool results are in auto-hide mode, and the double-clicked line is behind it, the main window should scroll the line into view
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Configure - Preferences
still takes very long for the dialog to appear (7 seconds, TP 5.0.2 on Win2K on a 2.66GHz Pentium 4 machine with 512MB Ram)

Btw, is there a way to get the User Tools back onto the Tools menu (without the IMO superfluous "External Tools" thing)?
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

In a file which says Code Set ANSI, the \xdd only seem to work for the ASCII range - for Umlauts and other characters in the \x80 - \xff range it does not work. (found when I tested my would-be reply to http://www.textpad.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8251 )
kitimat

config pref

Post by kitimat »

config preferences loads fine here. About 1/2 second if that. TP 5.02

W2000, SP4, 2ghz, 512 ram, pent 4.

I do recall that that the first time I opened config pref in 5.0 it was slooow. After that first time it has opened just fine.

kitimat
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Still opens slooooow for me. I changed some settings, exited from Textpad, restarted it and it still opens very slow.
gan

Post by gan »

There is a solution for the "Configure - Preferences" open slowly issue already posted in this forum.

http://www.textpad.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8060

I had the same problem and have to do with a not fully working upgrade from 4.x. I guess there are several ways to solve this issue, but here is what i did. I had to uninstall textpad 5, delete the program files\textpad 5 folder, delete the registry key HKLM\Software\Helios and HKCU\Software\Helios. Then i searched for textpad in my registry to make sure i managed to get rid of all the things related to Textpad. Then i reinstalled Textpad 5 and the problem was gone. All the settings were gone, but took me 5 minutes to fix. I guess this still is considered a bug, but it's a pretty easy workaround. After the installation i had to set textpad as a texteditor in some programs again like winzip, winrar and some other programs.

I guess i did much more then i had to do, but didn't bother trying to figure out what exactly that was causing the problem so saved some time by getting rid of textpad completely before i did a reinstall.
tarraccas

Re: config pref

Post by tarraccas »

kitimat wrote:config preferences loads fine here. About 1/2 second if that. TP 5.02

W2000, SP4, 2ghz, 512 ram, pent 4.
Same here. First few times were slow but after setting all the directories and running Textpad a few times (for whatever reason) the prefs open instantly again.

Nice to see that I can edit the toolbars again too. :)
~T
p yannone

General Feedback for Version 5

Post by p yannone »

I have been a very active advocate for TextPad version 4. I have installed version 5.02 on my MS Server 2003 OS. The version 4 textpad is such a refined product that IMHO Helios is doing themselves a major injustice by not releasing version 5 strictly as a beta, at this point in history.

The list of unpredicable behaviors is too long for me to presently post, but I am working on it. I have had to revert to a previous version on my production server.
PJY