unicode support - in which edition can we expect this?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Jurrich

unicode support - in which edition can we expect this?

Post by Jurrich »

Just a simple question: in which version of textpad can we expect proper unicode support, "complete" with fontlinking?

It seems to be missing from version 5, which still uses the antiquated codepage system, will the next minor release of textpad support this, or will we have to wait for textpad 6?

- J. Urrich
Alexander654

Post by Alexander654 »

I think I have the same problem. I submited it a few hours ago in the subject "western and russian text". TextPAD goes big wrong with non western languages (so unicode . Strange, Notepad, the Windows standard text editor fixes it all. And TextPAD claimes to be better than notepad.

The whole ansi (western language) and unicode ( all languages) problems with textPAD are very anoying.

When I construct html in ansi I can use TextPAd.

When in Unicode I MUST use notepad. (all my extra books, =snippets, =tags and codes, I made in TextPAD).

Hope the TextPAD programmers solve this problem soon. (perhaps an free upgrade or a patch??)

best

Alexander Zaalberg
Amsterdam
The Netherlands
LonelyPixel

Post by LonelyPixel »

Seems the Textpad developers have no interest in supporting Unicode, but they won't tell. Americans? (Would be typical in a way... "What is other character sets?") How many years hasn't Textpad supported Unicode while almost every other editor does? And they're getting better.

PS: This was the newest Unicode-asking thread I could find this time. Have you all given up by now? (I'm only visiting this forum twice a year.)
Alexander654

Post by Alexander654 »

LonelyPixel wrote:PS: This was the newest Unicode-asking thread I could find this time. Have you all given up by now? (I'm only visiting this forum twice a year.)
I haven't used TextPad for quite some time. I use a different HTML editor which is freeware and supports Unicode. It's manufactured by a German software developer, No big company, and he always anwers emails when you have a software problem.

The only thing missing is Textpad easy way to trigger snippets. In this German (english languaged) editor you have to do that with a pull down menu.

Very likely I will never use TextPad again since I got used to the editor I use nowadays.

If I ever buy a HTML editor again it probably will be BBedit, running both on MAC and PC.

Best

AZ
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Alexander654 wrote:If I ever buy a HTML editor again it probably will be BBedit, running both on MAC and PC.
Are you saying you will run BBEdit under Windows? Not possible I think but it would be a better world if it were.

On the subject of Unicode support, I reckon the release of 5.0 and then 5.1 may indicate that this is not a top priority for Helios, who (AFAIK) are based in the UK rather than the US. There are other editors place more emphasis on Unicode support and if this is an important feature it would be worth giving them a try rather than wait for what may require a major release rather than a point release.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
kelvin

Don't want to give up Textpad

Post by kelvin »

I have used Textpad since 1999. I love it very much, I don't want to give it up. Unfortunately, sometimes I have to use other editor which support Unicode. I feel very upset I cannot edit the Unicode text file with Chinese characters. Hope TextPad will have the break through in supporting Unicode in next release. TextPad please don't try to hurt your loyal user.