Textpad 5: Document Minimize button is disabled

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

yoong

Textpad 5: Document Minimize button is disabled

Post by yoong »

Hi:

Do you notice that the minimize button on the title bar is disabled? Also, if the Document Tab is enabled, commands such as "Tile vertically" and "Tile horizontally" are disabled from the Windows menu.

Regards
Yoong
PFSchaffner

Re: Textpad 5: Document Minimize button is disabled

Post by PFSchaffner »

yoong wrote:Do you notice that the minimize button on the title bar is disabled?
Yes, but I wasn't sure if it was a bug or an (unwanted) feature.
--
Paul Schaffner | PFSchaffner@umich.edu
Univ. of Michigan Digital Library Production Svc
stabby

Post by stabby »

I vote for UNWANTED FEATURE.

I want minimize restored.
jaz

Post by jaz »

Hear my vote! for restoring the ability to minimize windows (from within a non-floated, single instance of Texpad -- just like in ol' 4.x)

:)
jaz

Post by jaz »

Well, I've just reached the limit of my patience with TextPad 5.x. It has a mind of it's own. Despite that I hate and have tried to change default setting for the tabs, it just keeps bringing 'em back.

Also, MINIMIZE. I want a text editor to edit text. And the minimize feature in TextPad 4.x was one of the more useful features.

A while back I read some posts on how to get back the minimize feature in TP5, but I just can't get it to work anymore. And despite that I've opened TP5 , set my prefs, and closed it all the way; after a while it resets the default View|Tabs setting. (growl)

I'm constantly editing dozens of files and have them stacked or minimized, and not all cluttering the taskbar; I feel that the positioning of them on top of each other is a user friendly way to keep track of them -- it's easy for our minds to spatially track them way. So to have TP5 keep resetting the Tabs (enabling) is annoying.

So I'm going back to TextPad 4.x -- but I'll keep looking for Minimize to reappear in TP5!
deneshac

I vote for this - big time.

Post by deneshac »

I vote for bringing back the ability to maximize/minimize while in tabbed document mode. I edit a lot of files all of the time, and am extremely used to the Tabbed document view. Many times though I need to jump out of maximized view to put certain files next to each other in certain ways, minimize others, etc. It is extremely annoying (sorry!) to have to jump out of tabbed mode for this, since those tabs can bring files from behind to the foreground.

I read a post by helios that said 'When Document tabs are turned on, the maximize/minimize button isn't available, due to the way that tiling had to be implemented in this mode.' Perhaps something could be rethought?

thanks,

Oh yes, working with multiple instances of TP next to each is just not the same, and won't be a solution for me...
chris
registered user since v3.2
ttarot

Re: Textpad 5: Document Minimize button is disabled

Post by ttarot »

I vote for bringing back the standard ability to maximize/minimize file windows too

I realy prefer the 4.x version and i'll go back to a previous version because of this unwanted feature !!
ldw

Post by ldw »

Where do I sign up to get my minimize button back?
Do I have to go back to Textpad 4.X?
bsusman

Textpad 5.2: Document Minimize button is disabled

Post by bsusman »

I, too, want the minimize button re-enabled. It seems like a basic feature any windows application would have. Isn't this supposed to be standard on a window app? Ofcourse it is, let's fix this asap...PLEASE!
JoeT

Post by JoeT »

Here is another vote for bringing minimize back.
DOStradamus

MDI Windows w/o "Minimize" is Like A Pizza Without

Post by DOStradamus »

I'm considering "bribery" to get them back...

Would a "donation" of any of the following provide the inspiration necessary:

1. US Currency or International Money Order ("Pay To" left blank) sufficient to purcahse a few "pints" for whoever can "make it happen"

2. Finding two (or more) friends or collegues I figure would find TextPad to br a handy tool, and "get the sales" for you.

3. Hire a "professional" woman to sit at the feet of, and be of "service" to the programmer, while he re-enables tis piece of essential functionality.

Additionally, if a new feature that I could use to limit (or downwardly resize) an MDI child window, when created (I sometimes edit side-by-size across screens)..... I'd make my "best effort" to hire his favorite "Bond Girl" for option #3 :twisted:

-NK
syandoa

Textpad 5.2: Document Minimize button is disabled

Post by syandoa »

Another vote for turning minimize back on.
riordanmr

I want to be able to minimize MDI windows

Post by riordanmr »

Alas, the inability to minimize MDI windows in Textpad 5 was the straw that broke my back. I finally downgraded to Textpad 4.7.3.
I'm glad that it's still available on the website.
bsusman

Bring Back the Minimize button

Post by bsusman »

People have been asking for the minimize button to enabled since it was first disabled back in v5.0. Why hasn't Helios made the fix. The WindowsTaggleIcon shortcut is an ok workaround but it's tedious if you have alot of windows open. And I can't seem to get the shortcut to work for WindowsArrangeIcons. Helios, just bring it back already. It's standard Microsoft gui.