TP5 Preferences slow to open

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

talleyrand

TP5 Preferences slow to open

Post by talleyrand »

Anyone else experiencing a significant delay (6 seconds) when accessing the preferences menu? I have installed on a machine which had a 4.7 TP install. I haven't rebooted yet but I'm guessing that won't fix it.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

Yes, slow on my windows 2000 machine, but on my XP pro machine it is faster than the previous version.

My only problem at the moment is to get the editor to be "max" sized when I select from the start/programs or double click an associated text file.
helios

Post by helios »

TextPad can only uninstall configurations that were made during the installation process, so unfortunately the Shortcuts to TextPad for the previous version can remain in place. Try redoing the shortcuts on the General Preferences page, or failing that, manually delete them and then redo them in TextPad. The Preferences dialogue box should return to its normal behaviour.
Last edited by helios on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Helios Software Solutions
BCMadsen

I'm seeing the same problem; which shortcuts do you mean?

Post by BCMadsen »

I'm seeing the same problem that Tallyrand reported. But I don't know which shortcuts you mean. I'd like to follow your instructions for resolving this issue, but where do I find the shortcuts that need to be redone in TextPad?
gan

Post by gan »

I did a upgrade to textpad 5 and it wasn't very successful and one of the issues i had is the one described here. I ended up uninstalling textpad and remove all the entries from registry before i reinstalled and that solved my problem with the delay when i open the preferences menu. All my settings where lost, but didn't take that long to recreate my settings.
helios

Post by helios »

The shortcuts to TextPad I was referring to above, are those that can be found on the General Preferences page.
Last edited by helios on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helios Software Solutions
dan dar3

Post by dan dar3 »

Just had a (partially) succesfull upgrade from 4.7.3 to 5.0 (well, macros are gone :-), but otherwise everything is fine - new versions looks fine, I'll have to see how it compares performance wise to 4.7.3.

I have the same problem as reported here, the Configure -> Preferences window shows up after a few seconds delay. I have used FileMon from Sysinternals, and it seems that TextPad is scanning lots of folders from all three disk partitions?! I'll try unistalling and re-installing to see if it helps.

helios, what shortcuts are you referring to? Don't see any Shortcuts in the Preferences window.
dan dar3

Post by dan dar3 »

Just uninstalled 5.0 and installed again, still the same problem.

helios, are you referring to the "Put shortcuts to TextPad on" section from Preferences window? I only used the "Context menu", unticked it, and still the same problem.
miked

Post by miked »

I had the same slow opening preferences window, and also switching to the file explorer tab took ages.

I uninstalled, deleted all the registry settings (searched for helios in regedt32), reinstalled and it is now running much quicker. Obviously I lost all my settings but they were soon re-entered.
codex897

Post by codex897 »

I did exactly the same as you miked and now the slowness is gone. However I simply renamed the Text Pad 5 registry key (under helios) and after installation deleted the new key and renamed the original back. This kept all of my settings.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

codex897 wrote:I did exactly the same as you miked and now the slowness is gone. However I simply renamed the Text Pad 5 registry key (under helios) and after installation deleted the new key and renamed the original back. This kept all of my settings.
Thank you.
I did the same and the problem is solved.
dan dar3

Post by dan dar3 »

Just installed 5.0.3 and now it's lightning fast ;-)
chatt

Very slow opening Preferences dialog

Post by chatt »

I have TP 5.2.0 32 bit under XP SP2 on a Fujitsu tablePC and it takes over 20 seconds for the Preferences dialog to open!

Thanks for your help,
Peter