'Sharing Violation' on save

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MarkN

'Sharing Violation' on save

Post by MarkN »

Hi,

I am having a problem with TextPad v. 4.7.3: 32-bit Edition.

Every now and then, when I try to save a file I have been working on, I receive an error message: ""A sharing violation occurred while accessing <FileName>"

It only affects some files but not always the same ones and is not cured by closing and re-opening TextPad. I have to re-boot to remove the problem.

The work-around I have been using is to alter the name of the file (by adding a digit to its filename) and saving it as this. After rebooting, I am able to delete the original file and re-rename the other to the original filename.

The affected file cannot be deleted, even if TextPad has been closed, until re-booting.

This has been happening for a couple of weeks and an update to v.4.7.3 did not help.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Regards,

Mark Nixon
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

When this occurs, is the file open in some other program?
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi MudGuard,

> When this occurs, is the file open in some other program? <

That's what I would have expected but the answer is "Not as far as I can tell". If another program is opening the file(s), it is not showing up in Task Manager.

And I have been using TextPad for several years and not had this problem until the last few weeks.

Regards,

MarkN
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi MudGuard,

That's what I would have expected but the answer is "Not as far as I can tell". If another program is opening the file(s), it is not showing up in Task Manager.

And I have been using TextPad for several years and not had this problem until the last few weeks.

Regards,

MarkN
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi MudGuard,

Regards,

MarkN
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi MudGuard,

Regards,

MarkN
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Answering once would be enough ... ;-)

Did you install or update a virus checker roundabout the time the problem started?
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

The program handle, from Sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com), will tell you which process has the file open.

(Sysinternals is now owned by Microsoft, but all the many excellent administrative tools they've produced are still available for free download.)
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi Ben,

> Sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com) <

Thanks. I'll get it and see what it says...

Regards,

MarkN
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

> Answering once would be enough ... ;-)

Sorry about that - I have some trouble with the forum appearing not to 'submit' the posting...

> Did you install or update a virus checker roundabout the time the problem started? <

No. My virus checker is TrendMicro's PC Cillin. It updates itself regularly without any input from me.

Regards,

MarkN
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Hi Ben,

Well, I've been using Process Explorer to search for processes other than TextPad that have handles on the files I have open in TextPad. The only process having a handle on these files is "System".

So I tried using the program to search for handles on the folder containing the above files and, even when I closed the file in TextPad, handles were shown for "System" on all the files in the folder. Is this normal or could it be the cause of the problem?

An attempt to delete one of these locked files in my file manager resulted in the following: "System Error Code 32\n The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I would be grateful if you - or anyone else, for that matter - could help me interpret what is going on here.

Thanks,

MarkN
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Sorry, I've no idea. :-(
zainka

Post by zainka »

Hi

First of all, I know it has been an awful long time since last activity on this topic. But, since I had the very same problem lately, and since I then offcourse runed to textpad.com and searched the forum for a solution... I found this thread and I wanna share my experience so that others which will run into this problem somwhat in the future can have more information avaiable.

I think the problem is related to textpad register/essential file mockup. Result could be to reboot computer, but then problem will come back sooner or later. Also, only uppgrading textpad wont do since this wont delete all traces of the old installation. Also, most of the time I had the problems i found no refference to any other users of the file(s) using process explorer. File was totaly free, but still marked as used (i.e. sharing violation).

Solution for me was to totaly uninstall textpad and delete alle refferences to textpad from the registry (okay, you can skip asossiations). Then I had to reinstall textpad from scratch.

After this (no reboot) the problem has been gone.