Installation Problems

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mhill

Installation Problems

Post by mhill »

Hello.

I was running TextPad 4.7.3, paid version, on a Windows 2000 computer.

However, lately I was having troubles with it, so I uninstalled it and cannot get it to re-install properly.

Recently, I downloaded and installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. Just before the install completed, a Windows message box popped up, containing a red circle with a white “X� in it. The title of the message box is “Windows - Low On Registry Space�. Since then, I have increased the size of the registry, but I suspect a setting (or more) relevant to TextPad may have been affected.

Since then, TextPad began acting up so, after playing with it for a while, I thought the best solution might be to simply uninstall TextPad and reinstall it.

The uninstall went fine, no error messages.

However, the install doesn’t seem to be working.

Upon completion of the install, I have the option of launching TextPad. If I select this option, a TextPad error message box pops up:

“Error accessing ’C:\Program Files\TextPad473\System\TEXT.SYN’
C:\Program Files\TextPad473\System\TEXT.SYN contains an invalid path.�

I click the “OK� button and TextPad seems to operate as normal.

I then ran the install again (did not uninstall), hoping it might correct the problem. This time, I did not launch TextPad immediately. I clicked the “Finish� button and returned to the desktop.

(Both times I ran the install program, I was not asked if I wanted to place a shortcut on the desktop.)

When trying to start TextPad through the Start button, the TextPad icon doesn’t show up. There is only a simple text entry, “TextPad�. When I select “TextPad�, it doesn’t start. Instead, the Windows dialog box pops up “Open With . . .�, asking me which program I would like to use to open ‘00021646.rbf’.

This is getting more confusing. I just want to get TextPad up and running again.

Any ideas what is wrong and, more importantly, how can I fix the problem?

Regards,

Michael
helios

Post by helios »

First of all, I recommend that you manually delete all the file associations you may have made in TextPad, under Configure/Preferences/Associated Files. This will have the effect of retaining the default settings for file extensions in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, when you follow the instructions below. You will lose your personal configurations, so these will need to be re-done. If you are a registered user you will also need to to reinstall your license.

Next: Exit from TextPad, and completely remove TextPad 4 from your computer.

You will need to implement the following procedure.

From the Start menu choose:

1. Control panel
2. Add or Remove Programs
3. Select TextPad
4. Click on Remove

Next:

From the Start menu choose

1. Run
2. Type "REGEDIT.EXE" and click OK
3. From the Registry editor Edit menu select "Find"
4. Type "textpad" in the "Find what" section
4. Check the options "Keys, Values and Data"
5. Click "Find Next" and Delete, until all references have been deleted

Download and install a fresh copy from our web site.

http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions