Once again: Is TextPad dead?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

taguchi

Once again: Is TextPad dead?

Post by taguchi »

I saw other posts to this effect, but will Helios ever touch TextPad again? It's been over six years since a new version was released, and despite the occasional "wait for it" from Helios, a text editor should improve not lay stagnant and decay from developer neglect. If Helios is not developing TextPad, just what do they do all year?

Just my 2 cents, since I love TextPad and its uniquely clever design.
tycho

Post by tycho »

Well, 4.7.3 was released less than a year ago (19. june 2004). But I have to agree that not much has happened since 4.0, which was released in 1999. When there is no developement whatsoever for ONE YEAR in this buissiness, you basically have a dead product. Sad, sad - it used to be the best.
boon_kwee

help the software

Post by boon_kwee »

Well, I share the sentiments regarding the new version of Textpad, but I do believe that anyone hoping the Textpad to go a long way, or longer way. Can help to contribute in some manner.

I am learning some programming language, and using Textpad to work on it. I certainly don't expect the developer of Textpad to design the syntax file for this language, so I'm thinking of crafting it myself and perhaps this can serve as a contribution once it is ready.

To me, Textpad is almost flawless (well at least can't find anything negative about it), so I guess probably a new version wouldn't serve much difference. It is ultimately a TEXT editor, I certainly don't hope it become anything else (e.g. WYSIWYG editor)

One of its wonderful feature is that the owner gets to add facilities to it so that it does more work that helps. Well I don't get many MS products that gives me that.
Cheers
pipinn

Post by pipinn »

Two month ago I asked Helios per mail. This is what they answered (April 11th, 2005):
Hello

Thank you for your interest in TextPad.

TextPad is in a constant state of development, but I cannot divulge our plans for the next major release, at this stage.

Kind regards,

Sandra Rawlinson
Helios Software Solutions
mailto:admin@textpad.com
http://www.textpad.com