TextPad and MACs

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Ken Wilburn

TextPad and MACs

Post by Ken Wilburn »

Several of us maintain a web site on an NT server with our Windows-based pcs using wonderful TextPad. We want a volunteer to join us, but that person has a Mac. How can a Mac person download and update simple (no tables) html files previously created in TextPad? Do TextPad developers have a Mac-based equivalent text editor? Do Mac users have a program that routinely comes with their Mac like NotePad and WordPad in Windows? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ken Wilburn
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

The Mac is pretty well-served with good text editors. You could use the application TextEdit that comes with a Mac but in my experience it works better as cut-down word processor than as a text editor. I am not aware of direct equivalent to TextPad on the Mac but the following (listed in order of cost) are all worth considering.

Smultron is free, open source, reasonably capable. The find in files is very good but only works within open files (I think).

Tex-Edit Plus is a swiss army knife of text editors that can do a bit of everything. I like this one a lot. Donationware I think.

TextMate seems to be getting a lot of praise at the moment but I just don't get on with it at all. Claims to be the missing editor for OS X and includes code folding etc. 39 Euros.

Barebones make the venerable BBEdit which is the top of the heap and I love it, although it took some time to get used to. It does cost though. TextWrangler is their cut down version that is free. BBEdir includes FTP.

I have omitted any that don't include tabbed or multi-file windows (such as SKEdit) as being too different from TextPad

Cheers,

Steve
Ken Wilburn

Post by Ken Wilburn »

SteveH,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

One thing that just occurred to me is that your Mac-owning colleague will need to make sure document encodings and line endings are set correctly. Something like BBEdit supports Windows and Unix line endings plus encodings from Mac Roman, Windows-1252. through to UTF-8 or UTF-16 (both big- and little-endian) and many more.

It's not too difficult to imagine a scenario where your new volunteer could unknowingly change files such that TextPad might be unable to read them.

Cheers,

Steve