less intelligent document switching

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Yaroukh

less intelligent document switching

Post by Yaroukh »

hi

Is there way to switch among documents in order they were opened? I believe TextPad doesn't provide this option; and sometimes the way TextPad does it can become pretty annoying.

As the recently opened documents are placed more to the right on the document tab pane (and vice versa) I'd propose command names "WindowLeft" and "WindowRight" for these actions.
(Speaking for myself I'd keep Ctrl[+Shift]+Tab for the current TextPad switching style, and map Ctrl+(PgUp|PgDown) for the above mentioned.)

P.S.: I've suggested this two years ago here http://www.textpad.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5098 but (as expected) the request was mistaken with existing commands "WindowPrev" and "WindowNext". I hope it's not going to happen this time. :o)

have a nice day
Yaroukh
bdw

Post by bdw »

If you have the Document Selector open you can switch focus to it (Alt+1) and then use the up/down arrow keys to move to the next/prev document. There is an ActivateView command to switch focus back to the current document, but I don't think it has a shortcut assigned to it by default - maybe Alt+2 would be appropriate as Alt+0 normally activates the Clip Library.
bdw
Yaroukh

thanks but ...

Post by Yaroukh »

Document selector keeps alphabetical ordering, therefore it doesn't reflect the order in which opened documents are arranged within the tabs.
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

I agree it can be irritating at times.
Usually I keep the Ctrl key held while cycling the set of open files, and take care to release it only on file pairs I want to swap between.

I think if there are less than ten open, it's not too awkward to just touch each one in the selector panel in the order you want to restore for cycling with Ctrl+Tab, but I think even that was hard to predict, at times.

One thing I love that Ctrl+Tab thing for is with two files, it's sometimes neater to keep them both held and watch the strobing between views for small differences in files. Astronomers use this to detect changes in star fields, and because the page view update is so fast, it's extremely easy and useful to do in TextPad too. :)