3M ergonomic mouse scrolling

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

afinch

3M ergonomic mouse scrolling

Post by afinch »

Hello,
I have a 3M Renaissance mouse (looks like a joystick - relieves wrist strains) that has a 3rd button which kind of acts like a wheel. I click it on while viewing long documents or web pages and just move the mouse slightly and the page scrolls smoothly without further interaction. Works fine for IE, Netscape, FireFox, and MS Word however it will not work for TextPad!
Does anyone else use this type of mouse with TextPad? Very frustrating because I use TextPad most of the time.

thanks

Aaron
bveldkamp

Post by bveldkamp »

I don't know this particular type of mouse, but I just tried with my Logitech wheelmouse and I noticed the same happens here (autoscroll in IE, but not in TP).
Depending on which driver software your mouse uses, you might be able to enable autoscrolling. I had to go to "Control Panel", "Mouse", "Buttons", and set "Button 2" (button2=wheel) to "Autoscroll".
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Just tried with my cordless wheel mouse (Logitech).

The wheel works normal as a scrolling wheel.

And when I click the wheel, the circle with the 4 arrows appears and when I then slightly move the mouse, Textpad starts scrolling. The further away from the clickposition the faster is the scrolling.

So Textpad is able to do this.

It must be some setting - either in Textpad or in the mouse driver.
skaemper

Post by skaemper »

Hi,

hmmm, my (cordful ;)) optical Logitech mouse operates like so:

Within Firebird clicking with the mouse wheel gives me the circle-and-arrors cursor to move around in the document. This works with many other applications in the same way.

Within TextPad this kind of moving/navigating doesn't work in the text edit window. But it does work when mouse-wheel-clicking in the clip library. And in the file selector it doesn't. :?:

Stephan
"It's POLYMORPHIC!"
A former colleague
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

For me, it works in each window in Textpad: edit, doc selector, clip library

Even in the tree of the configure/preferences dialog ...
afinch

new mouse

Post by afinch »

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think its time to buy a new
mouse. The USB versions appear to have better sw support. This one isn't supported on XP according to its supplier, 3M. Was working just fine until I did the XP Service Pack 2. Then it all went to...
thanks again