Synchronize scrolling

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Lakmir

Synchronize scrolling

Post by Lakmir »

I hoped upgrading to 4.72 would fix this, but it apparently didn't, so...

I've got a document split into two windows. If I split it vertically so there's one on top and one on bottom, scrolling is not synchronized (which is a good thing, as I need to edit two completely different places in the file at the same time.) If I split it horizontally, however, so there's a left pane and a right pane, scrolling is always synchronized whether I have it checked or unchecked in the configure menu. Is it supposed to behave like this?
Drxenos

Re: Synchronize scrolling

Post by Drxenos »

Lakmir wrote:I hoped upgrading to 4.72 would fix this, but it apparently didn't, so...

I've got a document split into two windows. If I split it vertically so there's one on top and one on bottom, scrolling is not synchronized (which is a good thing, as I need to edit two completely different places in the file at the same time.) If I split it horizontally, however, so there's a left pane and a right pane, scrolling is always synchronized whether I have it checked or unchecked in the configure menu. Is it supposed to behave like this?
Yeah, I never liked that either! I would like to be able to have two windows of the same file open side-by-side, so I can refer to one, while typing in the other. You can do it top-to-bottom, but you can line them up side-to-side.
McWilliamsPete

Synchronize scrolling

Post by McWilliamsPete »

a) 4.73 is out

b) according to the help, views of _other_ documents are synchronized.

c) apart from that:

i split a single document horizontally and vertically. while scrolling (in this case, bottom right view) with the arrow keys, the corresponding view (top right) moves as well. if i jump to the end of a line with the End-key, the corresponding view goes to the _start_ of the line.

is this a bug?

i have _not_ enabled configure / synchronize scrolling.

thanks,
pete
mike777

synchronized scrolling

Post by mike777 »

After having read previous posts and adding my own experience, I have to conclude that:

1. Synchronized scrolling with vertical split in the same document cannot be turned OFF, even with word wrap off. I want to edit two parts of my single file side by side vertically and scroll independently I can't do it in Textpad 4.7.3.

2. Users want this functionality. There are other posts here asking for this feature.

3. There is no good workaround. I can't open two textpads and work on the same document. My only alternative is to cut and paste half my document into Notepad and position side-by-side with TextPad. That's ugly.

4. On this forum, it appears that Helios Software is silent on this topic.
No Help, no forum replies, no nothing.

I would like at least a response from Helios on this topic. If you can't do it, then fine -- just let us know what's going on, please.
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

I'd rather they keep TextPad as small, fast, and stable as it is instead of jumping everytime someone wants a new feature. There's a lot of features I'd like to see, but I've seen many a good product become popular and then become bloated and unstable from feature-creep.
charlesNPC

Feature-bloat

Post by charlesNPC »

Couldn't agree more - except that you'd hope that TP5 could integrate with Visual Studio, to get the best of both worlds: textpad's editing features in VS ...
mike777

Synchronized Scrolling

Post by mike777 »

Dang it, Drxenos, I ain't asking for the world here, just one teeny-weenie leetle thang that's supposed to be working anyway. Geez. You don't have to swat a gnat with a bulldozer.
Drxenos

Re: Synchronized Scrolling

Post by Drxenos »

mike777 wrote:Dang it, Drxenos, I ain't asking for the world here, just one teeny-weenie leetle thang that's supposed to be working anyway. Geez. You don't have to swat a gnat with a bulldozer.
Wow, I don't what I said to incur that.