Save Brings up Save As (again)

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mo

Save Brings up Save As (again)

Post by mo »

Hello,

Some time ago I had the problem, apparently with others, that when I clicked the save icon it would bring up the Save As dialog. I thought I had solved this problem, but it seems to be happening again. I may have changed a setting or something. I did a search, but the results came up with threads where the issue was not solved:

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic. ... rings+save
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Ed

Post by Ed »

I think this dialogue usually indicates that a file is readonly. Of course, over a network it may indicate something more subtle like not having write privilege. - ...but no doubt you've been down this line.
mo

Post by mo »

Neither of those, thanks. Something to do with overwriting the original file?
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
Ed

Post by Ed »

Yes, I seem to recall that if you change the setting Config>Pref>File>overwrite...
the problem goes away. Or have I got that wrong?
mo

Post by mo »

Nope. I tried it with this setting unchecked and just now experienced the same problem again. Anyone recall what needs to be done to stop this?

I am also experiencing another problem that I thought was solved which is irratic selection. Where the selection jumps off the start, starts to drag the selection as copied, selects the whole word or line or multiple lines when it should not.

Did Symantec revert to one of it's older forms during the spate of recent updates?
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
mo

Post by mo »

Well so far what I can say is that after disableing Norton Anti-virus Auto Protect I have not had any problems with selecting or the save bringing up the SaveAs dialog box.

I am behind a firewall in a router and still have my e-mail scanned and scripts blocked...I wonder if there is any danger in runing without Auto Protect?
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

mo wrote:I am behind a firewall in a router and still have my e-mail scanned and scripts blocked...I wonder if there is any danger in runing without Auto Protect?
Well, I suppose if you aren't running Outlook or Outlook Express, you ought to be fine with regard to things automagically running for you. If you are running one of those two and can switch, you might want to look into it. I tend to recommend either The Bat or Eudora. I'm sure others on here have their favourites.
After that, you can manually scan the potentially malicious programs after saving them out of the email message.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
mo

Post by mo »

haha, well, of course I am running Outlook. But I think I am safe here. I have applied all the latest patches, and as I said I am running behind a firewall and I also use Norton Internet Security, and I also use Popfile which screens out almost all spam (which includes anything I don't want to see), and Norton Anti-Virus is still catching viruses and trojans etc coming in e-mails.

I think the Auto-Protect feature has more to do with downloading programs and running programs and such, and I always scan my downloads and don't put anything on the computer from other people's disks and I don't use IRC or chat programs.

The main danger I am concerned about is infected websites. I don't know if that is covered completely by the script blocking feature.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds