General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

sezz

Linux Port

Post by sezz »

Is a linux port planned?
helios

Post by helios »

We're often asked about porting TextPad to Linux, so we are considering it. The only solution we have knowledge of at present, is to use RedHat 7.2 or above, and the latest version of Wine.

http://www.winehq.com/
Helios Software Solutions
sezz

Post by sezz »

I know that it works fine with wine, but wine slows down TextPad a lot, a "real" linux port would be 100-times better :)
mo

Post by mo »

Talking my own position here, but I think TextPad Mgt should look at the recent developments in Linux for the clue: RedHat going exclusively commercial tells us that there is money there (how about bundling TextPad ... it now becomes something they could pay royalties on) (others read it as there is no money in the free version)...

Personally not having TextPad is probably the single most outstanding thing that is keeping me from a 100% switch to Linux. Just about everything else I do can be done there just as easily as on Windows and with all the personal satisfactions of learning all the time about what it is that I am doing which is missing from Windows. I would gladly pay for TextPad/Linux.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
sezz

Post by sezz »

mo wrote:Personally not having TextPad is probably the single most outstanding thing that is keeping me from a 100% switch to Linux.
That's the reason why I didnt remove my Windows partition yet...
maniac

Post by maniac »

well, Kate is a start for linux, but once you get used to Textpad, there isn't really another alternative
_maniac_
mo

Post by mo »

I am only a duffer on Linux, and both emacs and vim seem like lifetime learning processes to me; kate repeatedly crashed my system.

The not-a-solution solution for me is the other hybrid: CYGWIN where I can work in a Linux like situation and yet use TextPad in windows. Any files produced can then just be copied over to the linux system.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
tygrus78

Post by tygrus78 »

Any progress ?

The UI and features of TextPad on Win32 to Linux would be very handy to have under single provider (licensing).
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I guess not, but there is a table of analogs of Windows software in Linux that specifically mentions TextPad at:

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-lin- ... le.shtml#3

Some of the editors listed might be worth a try. To me though they look like the usual mix of homebrew Linux projects and variants of arcane *nix tools such as Vi and Emacs.

In the past I did try Pepper on Linux and it was quite a nice little editor. It is a little quirky but this may be due to its BeOS/MacOS pedigree.

There is still a website at http://digitalwandering.com/ but it doesn't look particularly active somehow.

Hope this helps.