Problem w/mouse wheel and cursor in 4.7.2?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

StephenMSmith

Problem w/mouse wheel and cursor in 4.7.2?

Post by StephenMSmith »

I'm not sure if this has always been the case, but I just noticed it: when I use the mouse wheel to scroll a document in TextPad (4.7.2), the cursor disappears altogether. Textpad still has focus, but doesn't recognize any keystrokes until I click somewhere in the document.

Is this intentional?

Steve
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I also am using 4.7.2 and I have no problem with the cursor when scrolling with mouse wheel. Using WIN98SE, no problem for me.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Sounds like a problem with your mouse driver to me. The IntelliMouse driver version 4.10.851.0 does not exhibit this behavior on XP or Win2K.

You could try adding TextPad to the exclusion list for the driver, so that it handles wheel scrolling itself. To do that with the IntelliMouse driver, go to Control Panel, double click Mouse, select the Wheel tab and click the Advanced button under Troubleshooter. Then click Add, browse for textpad.exe and click Open. Finally, close the dialog boxes.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
StephenMSmith

Post by StephenMSmith »

Aaah, crap. Your right. Sorry for the false alarm.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

In case anybody else hits this problem, would you mind posting information about which mouse driver you have here?

Thanks,

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
StephenMSmith

Post by StephenMSmith »

Sure, here's the scoop:

1) I replaced my Intellimouse Explorer with a Logitech MX-500 mouse a couple weeks ago, and also therefore replaced Intellimouse 4.12 w/Mouseware 9.78.

2) But I found the speed/acceleration mouse feel to be much better just using W2K's native mouse driver w/o the Mouseware helper, so I got rid of it.

3) I found a 3rd party wheel TSR called Katmouse that not only provides universal scrolling but also scrolls inactive windows, which is a feature the both MS and Logitech removed from their universal scrolling software several releases ago.

It's Katmouse that causes the cursor to disappear when using the wheel in Textpad. However, I'll take the scroll-any-window-anywhere functionality over this little nusiance anyday.

Steve
cpcjones

Post by cpcjones »

I've been having a problem using an IntelliMouse Explorer with driver version 4.10.851.0 whereby I can only scroll horizontally with the wheel.

I'm using TextPad 4.7.2 and don't recall this being a problem in previous versions (mind you I'm losing the little grey cells faster than I can make 'em these days).

I followed your instructions to disable IntelliPoint wheel support for TextPad.exe and it seems to have sorted the problem.