Remotely edit files via FTP (repost)

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
31%
Somewhat important
10%
I'm okay either way
8%
Somewhat unimportant
20%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
31%

Total votes: 61

slothdog

Post by slothdog »

(Reposted, sorry. Apparently phpBB nukes poll options when you try to edit a message.)

I'd really like to see the option to remotely edit files via FTP. Anyone else?
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

In normal operations, files are really not edited on the server, they are downloaded secretly to a temp folder by the ftp client, then edited and reuploaded, giving the impression that the file was edited on the server,,, this in itself is dangerous because you dont have the original copy of the file that was on the server after uploading and overwriting.

For me, I find it always wiser to have the original copy in case I want to revert, this then will entail downloading the file anyways before editing... UE has a feature like that, it suckz bigtime.

IMO, FTP scenarios are best left to ftp clients, ..... I dont find it important, editable macros and function lists are top priority for me.
xtort

FTP + updating remote files

Post by xtort »

I agree in that the job of udating remote files is one best left to a FTP client. But one thing that is unique and indispensible is the ftp batch file listed on the add-on utilites page. This does the trick for my daily updates, and is a good reminder of the power that .bat files can deliver to server related functions.
¤¤¤0¤¤¤
"Freedom of conscience entails more dangers than authority and despotism."
~Michel Foucault

«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»«§»
jmooney

Post by jmooney »

I would also like to see Textpad support FTP for editing remote files.

I've been a registered user of TP for 3+ years, but lately I've been trying and using other editors (Editplus, Synedit,,) that have this feature built-in, usually, trading off the great user interface and intuitiveness that I've come to enjoy in TP to do so.

It becomes extremely convenient - if you need to update a file - to login and start editing immediately, without having to go to another tool.

There's also convenience in not having to reconcile what is FTP'd down from a server, what you're editing in the editor and what is on the server.

If I want a backup of the file being edited, I usu. telenet and make a copy, or, rely on source control. If you're going to change a file, you want to change it.

I disagree with the arguments that FTP is best left to a separate app. and would LOVE to have this feature built-into TP.! PLEASE!
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

:!: Objection ....... :arrow: FUNCTION LISTS FIRST .. anything else after... :cry:

Wheres Bob. :?:
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

:arrow: Bob wants Macro Editing before functions and before remote FTP support, and before anything else! Next after that would be broader range of RegEx expressions, but I digress off the original subject here. :D
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

There he is !! :lol:
DeadAgain

Post by DeadAgain »

It would only interest me if... It supported sftp. Our IT folks are shutting down all insecure protocols like telnet, ftp, etc.

D
cvoelker

sFTP Option is a killer Feature

Post by cvoelker »

Hello,

I am living here in a mixed environment where I am forced to use Windows instead of MacOS (my first choice) or BSD or Debian Linux, just because of the usual Compatibility stuff, you know. My opinion is that there is no reason for Windows as long as you dont use Exchange the only killer app on this plattform, but well...

As opposed to these client side requirements all our Servers are running Solaris including test and development boxes. And they are administered by security nerds (which I feel rather comfortable with).

Editing files through sFTP is not a question of individual choice such as "install samba on the server" (this protocol is completely blocked from our network; it is marked as "insecure"). It is also not a way to copy locally and using an FTP app, as this is not uploading a Site in the eveneing but changing configs every five minutes for testing or every hour or so for normal work.

Currently I have to use PuTTY and pico on the remote machine. Larger actions will be done by copying locally, then sftp-ing through command line. But to be honest, is this a way of working in 21st century?

I inquired to get a license for a convenient Text Editor on Windows for month now with TextPad, UltraEdit (the standard Editor on Windows in Germany) or ActiveState Komodo. Now I just got my license for TextPad. I had to have an Editor anyway and I did not know any Editor on Windows that has this feature already. So this was not the feature to choose by. But if there had been any editor with "Saving via sFTP" I would have ignored many flaws in search and replace functionality or in syntax highlighting for example.

Id bet, that this editor would become the "secret tip" spread among windows users living in unix centric environments. It would really be a big, huge advantage. FTP is definetely no choice any longer. WebDAV might be in some rare circumstances but sFTP is the future in file transfer. And users are objecting against Firewall rules enforcing this protocol just only because their tools dont support it. So, gon on and give em the tools they need!

My five cents, Christian
gracefool

Very low priority

Post by gracefool »

*Agrees with webmasta, xtort and Bob*

FTP support is at best a very low priority. There are so many other features that competing text editors have and are sadly lacking in Textpad. FTP is unnecessary.
tryl

FTP drive software exists

Post by tryl »

A couple of programs exists, which installs itself as a drive in Windows, and makes it possible for all programs to access the server via FTP, but the programs thinks they are working on a local hard drive. One url I just found is http://www.riverfrontsoftware.com/ but many more exists.

I don't see any reason that TextPad, and in principle many other programs, should make their own FTP-client unless it is absolutely nessesary.
It will only give a lot of poor FTP-clients, and a lot of places to update username/passwords.
./simon
damasta

Post by damasta »

This is for me the reason NOT to choose for Textpad. Unfortunally I had tho choose Crimson Editor.

Textpad is the best editor in the world, but without FTP functions, it isn't usable for me.

Please build in the FTP function and you receive a lot of customers.
tryl

Post by tryl »

Hornestly, I can't see why Textpad (and potentially hundrets of other programs) should each should implement their own FTP support when you can just get at program which makes a FTP connection look like an ordinarry drive.
./simon
Nuilok

Post by Nuilok »

Well, I didn't know the existence of this kind of software Tryl, but after trying it a few hours it's just great! Thus, I can only agree with saying that implementing FTP fonctionnality within Textpad is definitely low priority...
Nuilok
Truth is stranger than fiction, because fiction has to make sense - Liralin Li
damasta

Post by damasta »

I also didn't know the existants of this software like webdrive.
I really works great. I will now using Texpad again.

Thanx for the tip.

To the developers of Textpad: you can see everybody now use software like webdrive because there's no ftp function in Textpad. With webdrive the need of ftp function is less, but it will be a good selling point if there was.