Current Line Highlight - Issue

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jdonnici

Current Line Highlight - Issue

Post by jdonnici »

I read elsewhere here that there is an issue with current line highlighting, when the background color is other than black or white.

The issue I'm seeing is that my background color IS black and I'm still seeing this problem. Regardless of which colors I choose for Current Line, I don't see the highlighting around it. What I do see is the extreme tops/bottoms of letters being truncated on the current line... so it looks like it's drawing the highlight only in black and that gets "painted" over the top of the text that's on the line.

Is there a workaround for getting the current line highlight to work without changing my background to something other than black?

Thanks.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

This particular problem may be something to do with the maximum number of displayable colors supported by your display adaptor. To cope with such variables, and in response to the number of requests for using the background color to highlight the current line, we will implement that as an alternative in the next maintenance release.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
jdonnici

Post by jdonnici »

bbadmin wrote:This particular problem may be something to do with the maximum number of displayable colors supported by your display adaptor. To cope with such variables, and in response to the number of requests for using the background color to highlight the current line, we will implement that as an alternative in the next maintenance release.
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the info... looking forward to the next release, then. :)

FYI -- I'm running on an IBM ThinkPad with an ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 display adater.

While docked in the office, it runs in dual monitor mode with a 21" 1600x1200 as the primary display and the 1024x768 LCD as the secondary display. While undocked it's obviously just the 1024x768 LCD, but in either case it's running with the color depth set to 32-bit in the control panel.

Regards,

J
ultraliner

Post by ultraliner »

I've noticed the same problem in Textpad versions after 4.7.0. It seems that the foreground color is blended with the background color in an additive manner, so if the background color is darker than the foreground, it's impossible to see the fg. Thus, any fg color on black won't show up. This makes me rather sad, since I use black as my background color, and I really like the current line highlight feature. In 4.7.0 the colors seem to be unrelated, and therefore work properly, so I can have a navy blue foreground on a black background. Is there any way that this could be reinstated in the newer versions?