Configuring TextPad for easy use with C#

Usage tips, posted by users. No questions here please.

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

helios

Configuring TextPad for easy use with C#

Post by helios »

The instructions on the TextPad site for setting up a tool for compiling C# programs are more-or-less correct. The only minor issue was where the csc.exe program was installed, but you can do a find to figure out where it is on your system. But what they didn't mention is that you want to add "/nologo" in the Parameters line. Otherwise a successful compilation still brings up the command window. With the nologo option set, if your program compiles properly, you hear a beep and go right back to your program file, as with the Java compile command.

You'll also want an easy tool for executing the program you just compiled. The C# compiler creates executables of the same name as the program file. I'm not sure of the most elegant way to do this, but I'll mention how I did it. I went to configure/tools and used the pulldown menu for "Add" to request a "DOS Command." I entered "run C#" as the name. Then you have to actually select this tool to configure it properly. Under "Parameters" you want "$BaseName". Then you unselect "capture output." That should be all you have to do.

These two commands work great for me. They are the exact equivalent of the JDK commands and everything runs really fast. Much faster than in Visual Studio.

Contributed by Stuart Reges, University of Arizona.