Treeview in the document selector

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

How important is it to you, to have this feature implemented into future versions of TextPad?

Important, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad increases/degrades
56%
Somewhat important
24%
I'm okay either way
13%
Somewhat unimportant
4%
Unimportant, even if the size/efficiency of TextPad remains unaffected
4%

Total votes: 108

jeffy

Treeview in the document selector

Post by jeffy »

This suggestion has such high interest, I decided to create a poll for it.

Here's the original thread:

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3906
ContractedHack

And also...

Post by ContractedHack »

Not only organize the workspace docs in a tree, but allow us to select a folder and auto-add all the files ( with a filter *.php, etc ) down through the folders structure. Kinda like HomeSite does.
frankiboy01

Use XML as storage format for wokspaces

Post by frankiboy01 »

Hi everybody,

verelse made a SUPER suggestion in the original thread (http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3906):
verelse wrote:The treeview could represent a true workspace. I am certain that the actual TWS file could be an xml document representing a hierchical structure of logical folders.
If the TWS/XML file were created properly, a file could exist in multiple folders.
Yikes! This format even allows setting an icon for your project folders.
I would PAY for this enhancement...so I can completely get that bloated visual studio off my machine and focus on the code.
I think this would be a milestone in development of workspaces. By using XML as storage format all ideas (starting with relative paths up to individual icons and treeview) could be fulfilled. Even for future enhancements this format provides the possibility to add them easily and this format could be manually changed/updated (if needed).

I hope this posting encouraged the TextPad programmers to think about this feature as TextPad is my favourite text editor I never want to miss!

Frank.
nyugi

Loading files on demand

Post by nyugi »

The possibility of grouping and rearranging of files in a workspace is very imortant feature for me. I usually work with rather big workspaces. The opening of one equals to opening all files in it. This is lingering and unneeded in general because I work on 10-30 files out of approximately 100-150 however I need all of them to be at hand.
I think it would be very useful if TextPad would load files only if it is required by the user. Moreover it could even save that state of file (loaded or not) in the workspace file.
rgoldhor

More comments on TreeView for Workspaces

Post by rgoldhor »

I'd like to add my encouragement to the TextPad programmers to give these Workspace enhancement suggestions high priority. And I'd like to spell out a change that seems to be implicit in many of the suggestions:

files should be added to and deleted from a Workspace via explicit "add files to workspace" and "delete files from workspace" commands, not as the result of opening or closing files. In other words, it should be possible, and routine, to have closed files be part of a workspace.
BenjiSmith

Re: More comments on TreeView for Workspaces

Post by BenjiSmith »

rgoldhor wrote:It should be possible, and routine, to have closed files be part of a workspace.
Likewise, it should be possible to have opened files that aren't part of the workspace.
Saint Jude

Post by Saint Jude »

I'll second the last two suggestions
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

Here's another suggestion. (Could be an option).

Instead of organising the files in the document selector in alphabetical order, how about listing them in last-used order (so that the ones you're acutally using all get clumpted together at the top)?

This would also work for the files on the Windows menu.

Jill

PS. I realise this suggestion is mutually exclusive with other similar suggestions, but it's still worth thinking about.
mishofsydenham

Post by mishofsydenham »

Order of files in file selector can easily be optional... (Sort by option in context menu).

The .tws as XML some posts above definitely gets my vote though, since this would allow integration with anything not trying to monopolise through imposition proprietary binary formats. Great for integration with manifest...
cbv

Post by cbv »

...listing them in last-used order...
I second that... Dynamic w/ a refresh interval would be nice.
BenjiSmith

Post by BenjiSmith »

ramonsky wrote:I realise this suggestion is mutually exclusive with other similar suggestions, but it's still worth thinking about.
Not necessarily.

The document selector should have multiple views:

1. Alphabetical by filename
2. Alphabetical by full path
3. Most recently modified (stack)
4. Most recently viewed
5. Treeview (file-system)
6. Treeview (abstract project hierarchy)

And on and on and on.

There are lots of different ways to view a collection of files (more than just the six methods I've listed). And it would be great to be able to switch the views on-the-fly. In fact, it might even be nice to have two document selectors open at once, each using a different sorting method.
gracefool

Yup

Post by gracefool »

ramonsky wrote:how about listing them in last-used order (so that the ones you're acutally using all get clumpted together at the top)?
I third that...
Scorponok_Type_R

Agreed!

Post by Scorponok_Type_R »

This is really the only new feature I want in textpad. Pretty pretty please? :)
joelmw

Post by joelmw »

There's a lot here that seems swell to me, too.
Grace and Peace,
Joel
spoulter

Post by spoulter »

A TextPad "project" treeview would be fantastic.

As a developer, I've gotten hooked on Visual Studio-Net IDE's "solution explorer" treeview even for non-.Net projects, despite my love for TextPad. It works much like the classic Windows Explorer treeview, but lets you include/exclude individual files/folders from the project. The IDE's "search files" functionality is limited to files included in the project, so you don't get search results from dead files, documentation, etc. -- even though you can open those files from the treeview.

A related wish-list item for TextPad would be something the VS-Net IDE's "task list" -- basically bookmark-like shortcuts that are listed in a dockable window (and preserved between editing sessions). It's great for jumping between functions in code files.