Option to not check whole files
No votes
Option to limit columns to compare
100%

Total votes: 1

boldan

Compare text files enhancement

Post by boldan »

In "Compare text files" (Ctrl-F9) input screen, I would like to have 2 more options:

1. Number of records to compare
2. "From column" and "To clumn" to compare.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Get yourself ExamDiff (or ExamDiffPro if you are willing to pay a few dollars for an enhanced version).

It is much better than the text output from the Textpad diff command...
csalsa

An excellent text comparsion tool is WinMerge

Post by csalsa »

An excellent text comparsion tool is WinMerge. It is an open-source project hosted on SourceForege. It is a very active project and RC2 for version 2.0 has just been released.

WinMerge at http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge
A visual text file differencing and merging tool for Win32 platforms. Useful for determing what has changed between project versions, and then merging changes between versions
DOC_Oetkar

Post by DOC_Oetkar »

You can always give BeyondCompare, available at www.scootersoftware.com, a try. It's Shareware.

I use it for 2 Years now as standard compare tool and i didn't find any better.
Mainly i use i for comparing Delphi source.
altan

Post by altan »

"BeyondCompare" is a most impressive application. I could not wait to pay for it ($30) as I used it during evaluation period :D

Suggestion for enhancement: When comparing files in PC and UNIX format, if the "contents" are the "same" Textpad indicates "identical". It should however also indicate that they are in different "formats" (even though they contain the same information).

I was very puzzled recently when the UNIX diff kept telling me that two files were completely different although Textpad indicated that they were identical (visually too, of course).