Context menu delay

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Bob Hansen

Context menu delay

Post by Bob Hansen »

I have been experiencing a long delay when opening files with TextPad from the Context Menu (right click in Explore).

To duplicate problem, three tests follow:
=================================
File = test.txt, size=1K, Wind98SE, 700MHz, 256K ram.
TextPad 4.7, but also had same problem in 4.6x versions.

Have Explore open.

Test 1. Double on test.txt file, TextPad opens instantly for editing (GOOD). (Close TextPad)

Test 2. Right click on test.txt file, select Send To, move to expanded menu, move down to click on TextPad, and TextPad opens instantly for editing (GOOD). (Close TextPad).

Test 3. Right click on test.txt file, click on TEXTPAD, and it takes over 40 seconds for TextPad to open. I would actually think nothing is happening, but if I wait, it finally opens to edit the file. (BAD)

I am in the habit using Right Click, and want to use TextPad for many files not associated with TextPad. Because of this delay I have now developed slower habit of the extra steps of Send To, TextPad to open it quicker.

I have removed and reset the Preferences a number of times, no documents open when setting, applying, closing, and restarting in between each stage of removing and setting..

Any knowledge on why the long delay when choosing TextPad directly from the Context menu?

How do I get "Right-click/TextPad" to respond "normally" like the other two methods?
durf786

Post by durf786 »

I am having a similar problem that seems to have started with 4.7.2. If I highlight several files and then choose TextPad from the context menu, TextPad opens immediately with the first file open; it then takes 15 seconds (!) for each one of the other files to open in TextPad. If I highlight the files and use "Send to", the files all open immediately in TextPad.

It would be great if this is fixed soon - or if someone knows how to fix it. Using the context menu is a step less than "Send to", and I use it a lot!
helios

Post by helios »

Please see the utility called "DDE Messages", on the URL below:

http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/index.html

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
dkafrissen

New shell dll does not work

Post by dkafrissen »

Greetings,

I did the steps in the tip to replace the shellext.dll and now there is no context menu option for textpad.

I have windowsxp and the latest textpad
durf786

Post by durf786 »

helios - Thanks!

dka - Check the "Context menu" box again after replacing the dll
gkiers

Post by gkiers »

Hi!

I have the same problem as dkafrissen. The context menu option for Textpad dissapeared after I replaced the shellext.dll
It won't reappear, the setting of the "Conterxt Menu" box has no influence

I replaced the shellext.dll as described, I have a 4.73 installed

Gerrit