WISH: don't mung unicode text

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

brodie

WISH: don't mung unicode text

Post by brodie »

I hate how I can't use Textpad to edit files which contain unicode text outside the current code page. The best possible solution would to have it become a real unicode editor, i.e. no codepages, and all unicode text is editable.

At the very least however, it would be good to be able to edit files which contain text outside the current codepage without having that text converted to munged useless garbage - i.e. leave it unmodified in the file.

Brodie
devdanke

Code page problem

Post by devdanke »

When opening an XML file created by Word 2003, I get this message:
'WARNING: "foo.xml" contains characters that do not exist in code page 1252 (ANSI - Latin I). They will be converted to the system default character, if you click OK.' If I click OK the file is openning, but some of the original characters in the file turn into black rectangles. If I click Cancel, I get the error 'An unknown error occured while accessing C:\foo.xml.'

My computer is a Dell 8200 Inspiron with 384 Mb RAM, P4 1.6 GHz running TextPad 4.5.0 on WinXP Home with SP1.

Does anyone know of a work around to this problem, either within TextPad or by changing a Windows setting?

Thanks,
Dan
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

If there is a workaround, it will be in the tool that creates the XML as Textpad unfortunately does not support full unicode.

Check whether Word 2003 is able to create the XML file with a different character encoding (e.g. iso-8859-1 instead of UTF-8)