Wordwrapping in Linux

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Morten W. J.

Wordwrapping in Linux

Post by Morten W. J. »

Running Linux I need a really good editor and haven't been able to find any yet. Do any of you know of a Linux editor that handles wordwrapping EXACTELY as TextPad?
Wordwrapping is the main issue for me and so far I have not ben able to find any that works like TextPad.

I'll have to think of something until a Linuxversion of TextPad is avaliable.

Best regards,
Morten
Richard Thomas

Re: Wordwrapping in Linux

Post by Richard Thomas »

I believe Textpad runs under WINE, so you could do that (assuming you're running Linux on an x86).

The XandrOS distribution of Linux is, according to reviews, particularly good at running well-programmed Win32 apps. It copes fine with recent MS Office apps.
Simon Hudson

Post by Simon Hudson »

Textpad runs fine under SUSE 8.0 using Wine. You cannot run the setup so you will need to run the seup in windows and copy the resulting files to somewhere where your linux install can find them.

Simon
Arne Nilsson

Post by Arne Nilsson »

IMHO emacs is the best editor on earth. i think you should test xemacs so you can use your mouse and menues :)
although it dont handle wordwrapping EXACLTY as textpad i think you will like it.
zridling

Post by zridling »

Oddly, the two best text editors available - TextPad and UltraEdit - are not ported to Linux. Yet users keep telling them that the first one there will win that valuable present (and future) market share.
Lee

Texpad & Win4Lin

Post by Lee »

Textpad also works under Win4Lin..using SUSE 8.0..

Post by Guest »

Simple ed under Linux, SciTE.
Java based, jEdit (with Blackdown jdk under Linux).
Look in freshmeat.net and/or sourceforge.net.