Textpad hangs/crashes when accessing OneDrive

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jkcohen

Textpad hangs/crashes when accessing OneDrive

Post by jkcohen »

Hi! I am finding that TP 9.4.1 does not play well with OneDrive. When I try to open or save a file in OneDrive using TP, there is a minute-long (if not longer) delay, during which the machine may freeze or operate very slowly. I am starting to avoid TP because I can't risk the program crashing and losing an unsaved file. Any help would be gratefully received.
IanOfYork

Re: Textpad hangs/crashes when accessing OneDrive

Post by IanOfYork »

Save your files in a "real" directory — which is later synced with your cloud backup?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Just one topic ago you could have read things to try out. Since "OneDrive" is a network share go for #4 in the following list.

Similar topics:
  1. Hang / crash on File Open
  2. Save/Save-As Folder List "Jump to" Help/Request
  3. Ctrl-A to Open Multiple Files
  4. TP 9.1 hangs with network shares after upgrade from 8.15, including "disable .editorconfig file processing on Configure/Preferences/Editor"
  5. Bug: TextPad 9 Not Responding
  6. long freeze/delays with save on local (C:) drive
Core quotes of potential fixes:
AmigoJack wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:49 pmTry avoiding the themed dialog, because 9.x doesn't use Windows' native GUI anymore and as a result the 3rd party GUI provider hasn't fully imitated every aspect.
tosch wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:15 pmToggling the 'Workspace follows active file' OFF and ON again seems to have "fixed" the issue.
bbadmin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:36 pmDoes it make any difference if you disable .editorconfig file processing on Configure/Preferences/Editor?
bobbydurrett

Post by bobbydurrett »

I'm having hanging issues with 9.4.1 also. It seems to have the same problem with or without onedrive. What is the best way to revert back to textpad 7?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Download > TextPad 7 still offers 7.6.4 from 2017-03-07.
bobbydurrett

Post by bobbydurrett »

Oddly enough it does the same thing with Textpad 7. If I double click on an associated file or a file that is a link it is slow. But if I open a file with textpad it is fast. Also fast command line. Also, if one file is open the second one is fast. Nice. I double click on files through links all day long. I don't know how long I've used Textpad 7 with no problem. I just switched to 9 to get the BOM on UTF-16 files.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Sounds like the combination of OneDrive and Windows' Explorer is the issue, not TextPad. Since at least Windows 7 the Explorer scans most (if not every) selected file(s) for metadata, f.e. picture files to then display in the status bar their dimensions (width and height). But it would be unusual for TXT files, as they never have metadata.

Which file extensions do you open with TextPad and which Windows version do you have?