Best path to upgrade from V6.5.0 32-bit to v9.x on Windows 10 64-bit?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Phillip Eaton

Best path to upgrade from V6.5.0 32-bit to v9.x on Windows 10 64-bit?

Post by Phillip Eaton »

As subject, looking to upgrade smoothly without losing any settings and config, as I have lots of customisations!

I'm a bit worried about the switch from 32 to 64-bit.

Thanks for any tips.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: Best path to upgrade from V6.5.0 32-bit to v9.x on Windows 10 64-bit?

Post by bbadmin »

Each major release of TextPad attempts to transfer the settings from the previous major release, when it is first run. Therefore the best approach is to install version 7 first and run that, then version 8 and run that, before finally installing version 9. The 32 and 64-bit editions store their settings in the same place, so don't worry about that. However, version 9 uses a different graphical user interface, so any customizations you have made to that in earlier releases will not be preserved.
Phillip Eaton

Post by Phillip Eaton »

Thanks for the quick answer, it sounds like a good plan!

When I run through each version, I assume not having a key for v7 will not cause a problem, I can just run in evaluation mode?
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Correct!
Phillip Eaton

Post by Phillip Eaton »

I performed the upgrade from 6.5.0 to the latest v7, no problems.

I performed the upgrade from the latest v7 to the latest v8 and it reset most of my custom Document Class Syntax Highlighting to default colours. (Otherwise, everything else looks OK.)

I uninstalled, checked everything was OK in v7 and reinstalled v8 again and, before I ran the program first time, I copied over the *.syn files, then it ran up OK with the custom colours intact.

The only Document Class that has lost it's colours is Binary, which is a built-in. I tried applying the Document Classes/Default/Colours to all using "Apply these settings to all document classes" but it doesn't fix Binary.

Is there a hack I can make to a config file somewhere that will fix this? I did have a quick look, but couldn't see anything obvious. (It's not a big deal if not, I don't use binary with TextPad much anyway.)

Additionally, I had to redo all my custom toolbar icons, which were based on the built-in low-res icons, once I'd realised they weren't being scaled up.

I'll leave the v8 to v9 upgrade until I'm happy with v8 :)