Context menu missing TextPad entry after disable UAC

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

danny

Context menu missing TextPad entry after disable UAC

Post by danny »

Just want to report what I encountered to see if anyone else is able to reproduce the issue. I turned UAC back on for now so it is not an issue anymore.

TextPad 8.15.0 64 bit
Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7

I disabled the below policy to turn off user account control for admin user
Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode

After restart computer, right click on a text file, the context menu is missing the Open with TextPad entry

I tried to turn off and turn back on the context menu setting, clicked apply after turn off and clicked apply after turn back on, that did not fix the issue
TextPad > Configure > Preferences > General > Put shortcuts to TextPad on > Context menu

I tried to reinstall TextPad, also did not fix the issue

Finally I re-enabled the policy for Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode, restart computer, and the context menu entry is back.
KellyCraven

Post by KellyCraven »

I'm having this issue on a brand new Win 10 machine.

In my case, I can't change UAC, as it's Win 10 Home.

Simply put, the Context Menu for TextPad is missing, though Send To is available.

Changing it in the TextPad prefs - resetting it off and on, has no effect. Reinstalling TextPad and updating to the latest, 8.13.0 to 8.15.1, did not help.

It seems specific to this new machine running Windows Home as a second clean install (a new hard drive in another machine) that has Windows 10 Pro does not have this problem.

In other words, "this bug" may strictly be a Windows 10 Home issue and on Windows 10 Pro with lesser admin privileges.

It sure is a pain to have had this feature forever and lose it because the recent version of Win 10 Home is being funky.

Both machines are running Windows Version 22H2.