Errors trying to uninstall TextPad 8.14

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MarJohn

Post by MarJohn »

I'm trying to uninstall TextPad 8.14 prior to installing TextPad 9, but each attempt results in two error messages (below) then an aborted uninstall.

Please advise how I can uninstall version 8.14, which is installed in C:\Program Files\TextPad 8.

Errors:

Error 2503. Called RunScript when not marked in progress

Error 2502. Called InstallFinalize when no install in progress

And, as an extra - How do I attach screen captures to this message? I wanted to attach screen captures of the error messages but couldn't find a way to do it.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please try uninstalling v8 using Apps on Windows Settings.
MarJohn

Post by MarJohn »

Thanks, that's what I did.

I've just done it again, with the same result.

Any other suggestions will be most welcome.

BTW, when (if) I get version 8 uninstalled, will I lose all my settings or can I transfer them to version 9?

And, if I can, how do I go about it.

Looking forward to your further assistance.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

MarJohn

Post by MarJohn »

Does this help?

In a word - "no".

But, I have to qualify that a bit.

I'm not sure exactly what I should be doing but most 'groups', except "Trusted Installers", had full permissions. I gave "Trusted Installers" full permissions but the outcome was the same as I posted previously, including the same error messages.

If I'm missing something - which is quite likely - could you be a little more specific regarding what I should try.

BTW, I'm using Windows 10 22H2 Pro.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

This board does not allow attachments. Just use one of the countless picture hosters like https://imgbox.com and insert the BBCodes from your uploads into your post. Just like you could have used QUOTE as BBCode already (see the button) for citing your error messages (or text in general, instead of putting it into italics).

Microsoft's "answers" are notoriously unhelpful, if not wrong. Try finding your issue on Stack Exchange site like https://serverfault.com/questions/98753 ... lling-msis
I suspect your MSI does not have the Word Count Summary property set correctly. It must be set to 3 to ask for UAC's elevation.

With MSIInfo (with -w flag), a tool from the Windows SDK, we can read the msi information to see if it's the case, it can modify it too I think.
and https://serverfault.com/questions/98842 ... ontroller/
Found an issue with a Group Policy setting which was set to enabled.

Computer Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Settings\User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated

Set this to disabled and ran the installer again and ran without 2503 or 2502 errors.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Judging by the number of hits googling "msi error 2503" gets on this problem, it's must be a common one. There are even youtube videos on it. I can only suggest you follow some of them up and let us know if any work.

Regarding your question on preserving settings, they are not deleted from %APPDATA%\Helios\TextPad\8 by the uninstaller and relevant files are copied to %APPDATA%\Helios\TextPad\9 by TextPad 9 when it's first run.
MarJohn

Post by MarJohn »

Thanks for the extra input.

Before I received your comments I tried changing the permissions for 'users' to full, and the uninstall proceeded to completion after that.

Now, if you don't mind, for the follow up question(s).

If I install version 9 will it "pick up" my version 8 preferences, the files for which are still in C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\8?

Files such as ConfigState.xml and GUIState.xml.

Or if not, can I copy said files to the new TextPad config folder, presumably something like C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\9?

I'm sorry for creating work for you, but I'm not familiar with all the "ins and outs" of this sort of thing.