SOLVED: Turn on syntax highlighting- a "gotcha"

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

FanSince2001

SOLVED: Turn on syntax highlighting- a "gotcha"

Post by FanSince2001 »

(Snipped to reduce to stuff that mattered)

I want to use syntax highlighting on .pas files. Using Textpad 8.1.2 (64 bit)

Used "Configure/ New Document Class". Used the already-present "pascal.syn" syntax definition file.

Didn't seem there were many places to go wrong in the process!

(Another PC, across the room, running Textpad 6.1.3 (32 bit) highlights syntax in .pas files just fine! BOTH of them highlight .html fine!)

But I get no highlighting on a .pas file on the 8.1.2 machine. Sigh.

Yes, I closed file, closed Textpad after doing the set-up of the .pas syntax highlighting, then reopened.

So... some silly newbie "gotch", no doubt. ("Enable syntax highlighting" DOES have a tick, when I examine "Preferences/ Document Classes/ Pascal").

Love Textpad... main thing keeping me chained to Windows.
Last edited by FanSince2001 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

check the other document classes - is .pas already included in one of the other classes?
FanSince2001

Post by FanSince2001 »

Thank you for "check other... classes..." Good idea! Probably something as "stupid"... But alas, no.

---
(Later... 06 Mar 19)... Yep. As suspected. A silly gotcha.

In the Configure/ Prefs/ Document Classes/ Pascal entry... the same would apply across all document classes...

In the "files in class" memo, ".pas". Can't recall how it got there... I think I used wizard to set up the new class.

Anyway, today I looked at that, and wondered if there was some non-printing character, or maybe a stray "space" in it somewhere... clicked on the entry to edit it. Pressed "enter" to finish the entry... and was warned to put an asterisk before the .pas to cause Textpad to apply the document class rule to all the files with .pas as the extension.

Duh. Got there. Hope you find this soon if you are hunting too.

The "Files in class" is not so much a list of extensions to define what is in the class, more... and more useful as!... a list of filters to apply.