All of sudden can't make Textpad default for txt files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

davephx

All of sudden can't make Textpad default for txt files

Post by davephx »

Used texpad for decades as default for .txt files etc. But with the latest Win 10 update no longer can choose textpad when try and set defaults from the control panel. Only options are Notepad, Wordpad or choose from Store. Textpad not in store and have. Have to open Textpad and open from there instead of just "open" by clicking on a .txt file.

Am I missing something or is there an option in TP to force it used as the option which you use to do via Win control panel?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

(I can't help you, but) Does this only happen to TextPad in particular? Because otherwise it sounds like an issue with "latest Win 10 update" that should be asked elsewhere.
davephx

Only TP but on rebooting now can select

Post by davephx »

I have lots of other non MS programs and all had defaults working except .txt files etc which always had TextPad as default, but lost it and didn't list it as an option just notepad etc and store. But after rebooting the other option came back and able to select Textpad.

Solved but odd why Win 10 lost it. For now, all is well!
joezeppy

Textpad Not Being Shown in Default Programs in Windows 10

Post by joezeppy »

I have this same problem right now.

It would be great to understand why this is happening. I like Textpad and have used it as my default for .txt files in Windows for years. Now on Windows 10, Textpad does not even show up as a program in my default program list.

It could be a problem in Windows 10. I don't know. I sure would like to figure this out.

If anyone has some recent insight on this, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks!
joezeppy

Found Solution (as of June 2020)

Post by joezeppy »

Hi,

OK, I found the solution: This solved the problem for me with Windows 10 (as of June 2020)

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/change-de ... indows-10/

It basically instructs you to go to any .txt file in Windows Explorer, right click on it, and use the "Open with" context menu. This is still available in Windows 10 and it’s not too different from previous versions.

Once you do that, it seems to get entered into the Windows registry somehow and continues to appear in your default programs list in other interfaces. YAY!

Thanks for creating this topic. It does appear that Microsoft is deprecating this function (Not a good idea IMHO but it is what it is).

Joe
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

I also experienced similar ridiculosities elsewhere on Win10 installations. It was easier to got straight to the Registry and register filename extensions there than to figure out how to do it thru the UI.