Textpad on Google Drive File Stream problem

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Dagni

Textpad on Google Drive File Stream problem

Post by Dagni »

Hi.
I've just installed Google Drive File Stream on my Windows 10 laptop. Drive File Stream is a replacement for Google Drive for Windows. https://support.google.com/drive/answer/7329379

What it does is; it appears as a virtual FAT32 drive in My Computer and it shows all the files stored in Google Drive. The files are not actually on my disk; they're downloaded automatically and kept in a cache when I try to read them.

The problem is; when I try to open a .txt file from this drive, Textpad window appears but it just freezes.

Text file in Drive:

Textpad frozen:

I noticed that if the "When files are modified by another process" option in Preferences is set to Prompt, this freezing happens. If I change it to Auto-Reload or Ignore, then it works successfully.

Success:

Textpad version: 8.1.2 64 bit
Windows version: 10 64 bit

Can you look into the problem and fix it please? The Prompt option is really useful.

Thanks.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Don't you think this is a problem of the virtual drive not behaving correct enough and other software (not only TextPad) then start to have problems? As a consequence, not a culprit? Notepad++ has this feature as well - can you test if it still works with your non-local drive? UltraEdit would also be a candidate.
Dagni

Post by Dagni »

Yes I thought that, but other applications don't have this problem. I tried Notepad++ and Altova XMLSpy, they both have this feature and work without problems. When I save the file in Textpad, they successfully notice the change and prompt me to reload.