Problems with TP 8.1.2 edition

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ineuw

Problems with TP 8.1.2 edition

Post by ineuw »

Updated Windows 7 to Ultimate 32bit along with TP 8.1.2 (from 8.1.1) and configured my work environment. Took care of backing up the configuration files in C:\Users\ineuw\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\8, ConfigState.xml and GUIState.xml. This morning, I lost all the custom settings.

I have the XML backups and can upload or email them. Please help.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Sounds like you did everything right. There are different approaches to find out things:
  1. Make sure you actually use the version you think you use: start TextPad the same way you started it when you discovered that all settings were missing, then in the menu Help > About TextPad see if you really use 8.1.2.
  2. Make sure TextPad actually remembers anything: start it, adjust some settings, close it, start it again, see if the settings are still there.
  3. Search (doesn't matter if Windows or TextPad) for a file named ConfigState.xml) and see where this file might exist instead of where you put your copy in.
  4. In TextPad > Configure > Preferences > Folders you see mostly the same path being displayed - that's where said XML files should go.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

AmigoJack wrote:Sounds like you did everything right. There are different approaches to find out things:
  1. Make sure you actually use the version you think you use: start TextPad the same way you started it when you discovered that all settings were missing, then in the menu Help > About TextPad see if you really use 8.1.2.
  2. Make sure TextPad actually remembers anything: start it, adjust some settings, close it, start it again, see if the settings are still there.
  3. Search (doesn't matter if Windows or TextPad) for a file named ConfigState.xml) and see where this file might exist instead of where you put your copy in.
  4. In TextPad > Configure > Preferences > Folders you see mostly the same path being displayed - that's where said XML files should go.
AmigoJack, thanks for your repl. By now I have a decent familiarity with TP. I also don't change the default installation folder for important components. The two .xml files were where they supposed to be, but my first attempt to configure was completely missing from their content.

Now everything is fine. I re-did everything carefully and consistently, checking the results by closing and then reopening TP at every important change. This seemed to me to be the important step in preserving the changes. When completed, I checked the folder and files, and noticed the difference. The custom.bnd file was missing on my first attempt.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations