Replace notepad selection is cleared

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ineuw

Replace notepad selection is cleared

Post by ineuw »

Happy New Year everyone.

I am using Textpad v8.1.1 US English on Windows 7 and when using Bleachbit or Ccleaner to clear the cache, the setting for replace Notepad is cleared (use both and don't know which does this).

Can someone tell where this setting is, so that I can configure these programs to bypass this setting? Thanks.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

For anyone interested, this is the registry entry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Notepad.exe\Debugger "C:\Program Files\TextPad 8\TextPad.exe" -n

The problem is that virus and malware scanners disable this key when scanning. Is there a solution to this?
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
AmigoJack

Re: Replace notepad selection is cleared

Post by AmigoJack »

ineuw wrote:Bleachbit
Ccleaner
virus and malware scanners
The obvious solution is: don't use that software if it doesn't give you an option to disable/skip such actions (speak: if they have more control over you than you over those).
ineuw wrote:disable this key
This is not possible. Change permissions to the key to read-only for everyone (and don't forget it once you need write access to it again in the future).
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Thanks AmigoJack, and I agree with you. The software which caused this problem is Wise Registry Cleaner, where exceptions can be defined in the settings, but there is a bug and they are working to fix it.