Copying an existing configuration to another user account.

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ineuw

Copying an existing configuration to another user account.

Post by ineuw »

SOLVED

Is it possible to copy one admin's Textpad setup to a new admin account? I copied the following files, but nothing changed. Did I miss anything?

C:\ProgramData\Helios\TextPad - (Shared by all users)
TextPadPKE.xml

C:\Users\ineuw\AppData\Local\Helios\TextPad
empty

C:\Users\ineuw\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\8
ConfigState.xml
custom.bnd
GUIState.xml
Last edited by ineuw on Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
AmigoJack

Re: Copying an existing configuration to another user accoun

Post by AmigoJack »

ineuw wrote:setup
In case you mean settings...
ineuw wrote:C:\Users\ineuw\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\8
ConfigState.xml
This contains all settings, i.e. Document Classes, editor preferences... and your MRU entries.

I successfully copied C:\Users\?\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\6\ConfigState.xml to C:\Users\?\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\8\ConfigState.xml and all my settings from version 6 were in version 8. I opened the "Replace" dialog and both "Find what" and "Replace with" had all the previously used texts in combobox list, which I only used in version 6 but never in version 8. Why shouldn't it work for you? Of course: Textpad must not run when you copy/replace files.
ineuw wrote:GUIState.xml
This is the window menu with all its entries and captions. And window sizes/positions. Chances are you didn't even touch menus ever, so it just comes down at which position/size your dialogs have been (which is kind of uninteresting to migrate, I guess). Just have a look at the file and you'll see what I mean.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Thanks, you are correct, I have done the same in the past, copying where the username was the same. But this case is different. This is a single user Windows 7 where I created another admin (admin2) account for testing user features and settings because I don't want to mess up my admin1 account. But, I needed to have the same Textpad customizations as in admin1. So I copied the above mentioned files from admin1 to admin2.

After your post, I realized that I better check any reference to admin1. Now it works, but it needed 1 reboot and two logins.
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations