Hang on read-only network files

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Carl Stephenson

Re: Hang on read-only network files

Post by Carl Stephenson »

I have the same problem opening my source code files from across the network. I was fine until I recently upgraded to Norton AV 2003. Now Textpad will not open any of the network files. If I copy the file to a local drive then Textpad opens with no problems. I was thinking it be a Norton AV problem until I started reading all the messages here. I still think it is something to do with the AV.
Chaim Dworkin

Post by Chaim Dworkin »

I have TextPad 4.5 running on a Win2K server with McAfee Netshield 4.5. When NetShield is enabled TextPad will hang when trying to open any files. As soon as NetShield is disabled, TextPad can open files. Is there a work-around other than disabling NetShield any time I want to edit files? Or do I need to switch to Notepad? Any chance the TextPad developers can address this problem in a future version? Are they reading these forums?

Chaim
Steve Chicoine

Post by Steve Chicoine »

We had exactly this problem with Notepad 4.5 (not Notepad 4.4, however) after installing McAfee Netshield 4.5 on the file server. Installing the McAfee service pack fixed it.
Steve Chicoine

Post by Steve Chicoine »

...I meant to say with Textpad 4.5, not Notepad!
Michael Muller

Re: Hang on network files

Post by Michael Muller »

We're having the same problem. Textpad 4.5 on Win2k over a network. The same exact file (well, a copy obviously) on my local machine presents no problems. Open it across the network and Textpad locks up.

This did not occurr when I was on a WinNT machine. same server.

Does anyone know if a fix is planned for this?
Michael Muller

Re: Hang on network files

Post by Michael Muller »

Found a fix listed on this site in another forum. it's a kludge, and a little dangerous, but it works. BTW, both "autoload" and "Ignore" work.

-Michael

Author: Jacob Carpenter (216.57.209.---)
Date: 04-08-02 18:13

Jennifer--

Its funny you should mention this. I am encountering the same problem, today. In my case, it seems that here on our network the FindFirstChangeNotification API is constantly (and erroneously) signaling a change notification handle... or something like that. I've talked to our network guy about this, and he's currently stumped.

It seems that one workaround is changing the Configure->Preferences...->File option "When files are modified by another process:" to Ignore.

I know that's lame, because its such a cool feature, but it seems to get the job done.

Jacob.
douglasrowe

VM-ware Compressed

Post by douglasrowe »

I have been having this experience for some time. All our servers as well as my development machine are Win2k. Files on my machine are ok. If I attempt to open a file on a server (VM-ware virtual server, compressed drive) textpad hangs everytime. Even on the server itself using a terminal server client, I cannot open files with textpad. So it would seem to have something to do with the drive compression? Notepad works fine (or at least as fine as notepad can work).

I sure hope this can be corrected, notepad is a pain. :evil:
gbradt

Post by gbradt »

I was having this problem with Norton/Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition. I was able to resolve it by changing the virus protection settings. Under "Configure"/"File System Realtime Protection", change the File Types from "All types" to "Selected". (Make sure the most dangerous file types - .exe, .xls, etc. - are in the list.) This turns off the realtime scan for the harmless documents I edit with TextPad, like .txt, .xml, etc.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please also see the Known Problems forum, which discusses this issue:

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions