Issues with SVG files, and opening from File Explorer

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MrSpock

Issues with SVG files, and opening from File Explorer

Post by MrSpock »

It's nice when there are updates, but it would be even nicer if priorities were set. :x
Textpad still doesn't open WITH a text file when you double-click on it and you still can't create icons in a format other than this unspeakable SVG format. :x
I've been using Textpad for 25 years now, but lately the program just gets worse and worse. :x
miked

Re: Issues with SVG files, and opening from File Explorer

Post by miked »

Assume you have associated .txt files with textpad in Preferences->Associated files.
Probably not much help to you but I can report it works fine for me and always has.
Never needed to use textpad to create an icon so I'm equally of no help there either.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

TextPad's toolbar icons must scale to different resolution displays, so it uses SVG to do that. Inkscape is a free tool which you can use to create SVG icons. If you don't like working with them yourself, there are many ready created icons which you can search for at, for example, iconfinder.com.

Like miked, I have no problem getting File Explorer to open associated files with TextPad, so you'll have to be more explicit about what's going on.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

MrSpock wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:50 pmTextpad still doesn't open WITH a text file when you double-click on it
Please keep in mind that the Windows version can be the culprit. In my short experience with Windows 11 no program was able to set file associations (not even when run with administrator privileges) - I had to choose the "default" program to open for every file type myself with the Explorer. On other Windows versions I never had this problem.
bbadmin wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:36 pmInkscape
iconfinder.com
MrSpock

Post by MrSpock »

Thanks for the answers, but I'm not the only one with the file links (viewtopic.php?t=13640), and the SVG icons are not enough with Inkscape either (viewtopic.php?t=13657).
I have never installed Textpad 8 in this Windows installation, so a file cannot be linked to it.
So it would be nice if there were the promised solutions for both problems.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

How have you associated text files with TextPad?
MrSpock

Post by MrSpock »

I have linked TXT files with Textpad. The problem is the same for every file type. Double click on the file, Textpad opens BUT without the file.
Sometimes it works, but unfortunately most of the time it doesn't.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

How did you link TXT files with TextPad? Which version of Windows do you have?
MrSpock

Post by MrSpock »

With contextmenu - open with - textpad - allways. Windows 11 23 H2
miked

Post by miked »

Have you tried doing it from textpad? Configure->Preferences->Associated Files
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

It consistently works for me on the same version of Windows 11. As you're finding that it starts TextPad, but does not always open the file, it can only be because File Explorer (assuming that's what you're using) is not sending it the appropriate messages, sending them before TextPad is ready, or they are being intercepted by another process. Is it consistent when only File Explorer is running and when TextPad is already running?
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

Does the file have any strange characters in the path name or file name? Like spaces?
MrSpock

Post by MrSpock »

If I link the file in Textpad and then double-click the file when Textpad is closed, Windows asks which program I want to open the file with and the entry Textpad says new.
If Textpad is already open, the double-click works.
The file name does not contain any spaces.
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

Curiouser and curiouser. Sounds like the registry update is not sticking. Is this your computer or a company one?
MrSpock

Post by MrSpock »

This is my private computer. I'm a bit surprised that I'm being treated as if I've only been sitting at my PC since yesterday. I wrote clearly at the beginning that I have been using Textpad since 1999. Incidentally, I am a programmer myself.
And again: I am obviously not the only one who has this problem (viewtopic.php?t=13640.).