Slow File/Open on 9.4.1

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

westdale

Slow File/Open on 9.4.1

Post by westdale »

Apologies if this is a repeat - I cannot see the same issue and searching on 'open file' is rejected as too common a search.

I find that there is an approx 20 second delay on Open/File before the select dialogue opens.
My instinct says that it is related to the use of OneDrive where my main Documents/Pythonscripts folder is situated to be able to access it from (at least) two computers - I'm guessing that this version of TextPad is wandering around the cloud assembling information before displaying the dialogue.

Does anyone have a workaround for this - I may have to revert to one of my old versions of textpad.
AmigoJack

Re: Slow File/Open on 9.4.1

Post by AmigoJack »

Similar topics: Core quotes of potential fixes:
AmigoJack wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:49 pmTry avoiding the themed dialog, because 9.x doesn't use Windows' native GUI anymore and as a result the 3rd party GUI provider hasn't fully imitated every aspect.
tosch wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:15 pmToggling the 'Workspace follows active file' OFF and ON again seems to have "fixed" the issue.
bbadmin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:36 pmDoes it make any difference if you disable .editorconfig file processing on Configure/Preferences/Editor?
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

As Amigo Jack points out, if you are using the themed file open dialog box, this could be the issue, as it can be slow to open because it doesn't share the cache used by the system file open dialog. You can revert to using that with Configure » Preferences » File » Use the standard file open dialog box.

I hope this helps.
westdale

Post by westdale »

Many thanks!
I used whatever is default
As it happens, after a couple of days, it calmed dow and started responding quickly - I guess that is cache related!