Find/replace dialogs are offscreen

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

john1857

Find/replace dialogs are offscreen

Post by john1857 »

I used Textpad with a second monitor attached, and I moved the search dialog to the other screen to be able to see what I was doing more easily. Later when I tried to open the search dialog again it didn't appear, and it turns out that it was being displayed offscreen (on the now-disconnected second monitor).

I have two questions:
  1. If this happens again, is there any way to get the dialog back on-screen short of connecting a second monitor?
  2. How can I submit a bug report for this?
Last edited by AmigoJack on Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: list formatting
AmigoJack

Re: Find/replace dialogs are offscreen

Post by AmigoJack »

1. Yes, there is. Not only for TextPad, but for any window. It has been handled before in ...and it always boils down to:
    AmigoJack wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:08 pm They're most likely out of reach. Wherever that happens to you (the program doesn't matter):
    • Pay attention if the main window loses its focus. In older Windows versions the title bar would get a different color, so one could quickly tell which window had the focus (speak: was in the foreground). If this is still the case then the expected dialog window is shown.
    • You can't see it, because it's outside the (current) desktop. Windows which are displayed but can't be seen can still be reached via keyboard:
      1. just press Alt+Space to bring up the system menu,
      2. then select Move,
      3. then hit one of the arrow keys (up, down, left, right... doesn't matter which) and
      4. then you can freely move the mouse to see your window again within the bounds of your desktop.
    Might happen with multiple monitors and afterwards using only one, too.
  2. This bulletin board and in there this forum named "General" are the right spot - the developers/vendors read this from time to time. This way, every guest/user is also able to read or even participate in older reports.

For this particular issue keep in mind that Windows itself may be addressed as bug culprit, since every program on its own has to deal with the dilemma of saving window positions and how often to check if they're still within the current desktop's dimensions. You should encounter this problem with other software which displays windows, too. But it wouldn't hurt TextPad to have a window menu item (under "Windows") that would have a caption like "Rearrange all dialog window to default positions", becauso code wise this is very easy to achieve.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: Find/replace dialogs are offscreen

Post by bbadmin »

In the next release, TextPad will detect if those dialog boxes are on a non-existent monitor and move them to the primary one.