TP9 multiple performance issues - near unusable

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

IanJ

TP9 multiple performance issues - near unusable

Post by IanJ »

I've been a registered TP user for more years than I can remember - superb reliable software.

I just tried upgrading from 8 to 9 and -wow- it seems really dreadful now. This is on Win10/64, i7-6, NVidia RTX 2700.
Even just redrawing the window, the text, is like treacle and flashes and flickers so terribly.
It takes a good 20-30 seconds to open a file dialog (one other application has this issue on my PC - Formlabs' PreForm software).

I then removed 9 and re-installed the latest 8 and it's perfectly fine - smooth fast flicker-free window redraw, no delay at all opening a file dialog.

I hope this is something specifically problematic on my setup (I'll test on another [Win11] PC at some point) but I do fear particularly about the file dialog issue that this problem may be related to some change in application framework. I'd like to use the new dark mode in 9, but right now, it's just not viable.

Has anyone else seen these kind of issues with 9 ?

If nothing else, can I enquire about the intention to keep developing/supporting 8 ?
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: TP9 multiple performance issues - near unusable

Post by bbadmin »

Thanks for your feedback on TextPad.

The themed file open dialog is slow, because it doesn't share the cache used by the system file open dialog. You can revert to using that with Configure » Preferences » File » Use the standard file open dialog box.

I cannot reproduce the issue you are having with redrawing the window. Are you using version 9.3.1?