v8.16.0: Opening a file does not open the file in the most recently activated TextPad instance

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

twa_priv

v8.16.0: Opening a file does not open the file in the most recently activated TextPad instance

Post by twa_priv »

Version 8.16.0:

When multiple TextPad instances are open, opening a file that is associated with TextPad (e.g. TXT) from Explorer does not open the file in the most recently activated TextPad window. It always opens the file in the TextPad instance that was started first.

This was working in previous versions.

Thanks
bbadmin
Site Admin

Re: v8.16.0: Opening a file does not open the file in the most recently activated TextPad instance

Post by bbadmin »

You can choose which instance of TextPad you want files to open in if you add it to Explorer's context menu using the option on Configure » Preferences » General.
twa_priv

Re: v8.16.0: Opening a file does not open the file in the most recently activated TextPad instance

Post by twa_priv »

Yes, I understand that. But I am opening the file by just double-clicking on it. In previous versions (including 8.15.1) the file was opened in the most recently activated TextPad instance. Now it is always opened in the instance that was opened first.
hiddenuser

Post by hiddenuser »

I recently jumped from TextPad 7.x to 9.1 and THIS is the most annoying issue I've encountered so far.

First thing in the morning, I open an instance of TextPad that opens my main workspace by default (containing all of my notes files).

Then I open a second instance where I have my daily project files.

I want files that I double-click in File Explorer to open in the last TextPad instance I've opened, not the first one. I've tried everything, and it insists on using the first instance no matter what I do. Of course, in the first TextPad I open each day, I have my main workspace open by default, so it's not just a question of opening that later. Unless of course I close my workspace whenever I start a new project for the day, then reopen it.

The solution to use the context menu is unworkable, because in Windows 11, you have to:
  1. find the file
  2. right-click
  3. choose 'Show more options'
  4. click on 'Open in TextPad session...'
  5. click on the session (which just shows the last file opened in each session, so not always obvious)
That's 5 steps instead of 2:
  1. find the file
  2. double-click
Please bring back the old way it used to open in the most-recently-used instance!

(Windows 11, TextPad 9.1.0)
Last edited by AmigoJack on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: formatting