Tool to transfer TextPad (8.9.0) settings to another PC

Instructional HowTos, posted by users. No questions here please.

Moderators: AmigoJack, helios, bbadmin, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

vdawg

Tool to transfer TextPad (8.9.0) settings to another PC

Post by vdawg »

I have created a Windows application to assist with copying TextPad settings from one PC to another. I am using TextPad 8.9.0 and it is designed to work with that version. It is available on my Github account linked below. It is available free of charge to anyone who may find it useful:
https://github.com/swbrains/TPTransfer

It allows you to export your current TextPad settings, including Key Bindings, Macros, Clips, and Syntax files to a selected location (like a flash drive or network folder). It also copies the application itself to the export location.

The target PC can then run the application from the export location and choose the folder where the exported files were stored. The user can also select which of the various file types to import (Key bindings, Macros, Clips, Syntax).

I hope you find it useful.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Thanks. And well done for being the first person in 15 years other than the site admin to use this forum for its intended purpose :)
vdawg

Post by vdawg »

Happy to help. And honestly, I debated as to whether this was the proper place to post this! :)
Phillip Eaton

Post by Phillip Eaton »

Sadly it doesn't work on Textpad 6.5.

Is the source code available?
vdawg

Post by vdawg »

I'm assuming v6.5 uses the registry for its settings. I've updated the application to look for the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Helios registry key, and if it exists, to export it (and its subkeys) to the export location. It is then restored to the registry of the target computer when importing with the app.

Note: Depending on the version of Windows on the source or target computer, you will likely need to run the app "as administrator" in order for it to be able to read/write the registry successfully.
Phillip Eaton

Post by Phillip Eaton »

I followed the TextPad 6.5 application help and there are instructions there for transferring to a new installation. It's a bit clunky, but it did work.

I'll have a look at your program update anyway, it may also be helpful/easier to use.

Thanks for your update.
AmigoJack

Re: Tool to transfer TextPad (8.9.0) settings to another PC

Post by AmigoJack »