Can I install version 9 and version 8.xx on same computer?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jazzastronomer

Post by jazzastronomer »

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

You can even install both on the same account of any Windows installation, not just the same "computer".
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The v9 installer will uninstall v8 first. We chose to do that because any workspaces saved from v9 cannot be opened in v8.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

While I understand that there are users who just don't understand certain details: does the installer at least give a choice? Because then I'm forced to install TextPad in a sandbox just to get its binary files, because those surely can be executed in parallel to older versions.

And does the installer act upon account/user or for all users?
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

The MSI installer doesn't support scripting, so no choice is given. However, please check your PMs.
haeb

How to reinstall 8.x after 9.x

Post by haeb »

bbadmin wrote:The v9 installer will uninstall v8 first. We chose to do that because any workspaces saved from v9 cannot be opened in v8.
I have installed 9.0.1 and i am currently not satisfied with it. I tried to reinstall 8.15.1 which stopps with an alert: Cannot install over newer version

How can i bring 8.15 back without removing 9.0.1
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

To roll back, you have to uninstall version 9.
This will not delete configuration information, but the v9 configuration files are not valid in version 8.

You have to uninstall version 9, install version 8 and then restore the configuration files from a backup that is old enough.
haeb

Post by haeb »

IanOfYork wrote:To roll back, you have to uninstall version 9.
This will not delete configuration information, but the v9 configuration files are not valid in version 8.

You have to uninstall version 9, install version 8 and then restore the configuration files from a backup that is old enough.
So i have now renamed the TP 9 folder, deinstalled TP 9, installed TP 8, re-renamed the TP 9 folder.

Now i have two instances of TP running and i will watch what happens about the configuration files.

It could be helpful to know what have been changed in the configuration (which files?) files.
IanOfYork

Post by IanOfYork »

The GUI config file is a completely different format – v8 GUIState.xml is now GUIConfig.xml in v9.

I don't think that any?/all? v8 settings were imported/converted during the V9 install, so many customisations would be lost.

(see https://forums.textpad.com/viewtopic.php?t=13598)