Highlight found text

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MarJohn

Highlight found text

Post by MarJohn »

Is it possible to highlight found search when using either Find (F5) or Replace (F8)?

I find it very hard to locate found text after searching; it seems that the whole line is extremely lightly marked, but that's all.

I've searched Configure, Preferences, Document Classes, but couldn't find anything relevant.
MarJohn

Post by MarJohn »

Sorry!

Please ignore this post; I've finally managed to do what I was attempting to do.

Missed the "Apply these settings to all document classes" selection option.
Nial

Hyperlinks to found text.....

Post by Nial »

A slow reply but hopefully this will be useful.

This displays all the results of searching for a strink in the Tool Output window, clicking any of the results there will jump to that line.

This is invaluable for quickly jumping to all places something is assigned in a file, but can also be used to check for declarations etc.

Create a new tool as a DOS command, call it whatever you want.

Parameters: FindStr /N /I "$Selword" $File
Initial folder: $FileDir

Enable 'capture output'

Regular expression: ^([0-9]+)

Line set to 1

This is the one feature that has kept me using Textpad for more than 20 years.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

However, this only works for searches/files in ASCII, which seems to be enough for you. Windows' FINDSTR executable cannot deal with Unicode and workarounds are not that great either.

A better approach would be to just use "Find in files" and then only search on that particular file - that way you have all matches in the search results window, where you can doubleclick on any match to directly jump to it.