TEXTPAD 8.1 - Unable to open txt file in an existing TEXTPAD

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BEH

TEXTPAD 8.1 - Unable to open txt file in an existing TEXTPAD

Post by BEH »

I used to be able to open files for review / editing in an open TEXTPAD session. Now when I right click to open a file in Windows Explorer I no longer see the option to open it in an existing TEXTPAD session. Now I only see the option to open it with TEXTPAD. I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions to try and correct this issue.

I'm using WINDOWS 10 PRO - 64 bit and TEXTPAD 8.1

Thanks Brian
THANKS BRIAN
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

what is your setting in Configure - Preferences - General for
Allow multiple instances to run
?
Does it help to change that?
BEH

Post by BEH »

Hi MudGuard.. thanks for your reply.. the option to allow multiple instances is on, without it being on I'm forced into a new instance for every file I open. However I did some additional testing and this is what I observed:

under configure > preferences > general : there are a number of shortcuts to TEXTPAD listed (bottom right corner). I was able to compare V8.1.2 to my latest install V8.10.0 and saw 1 difference 'Context menu' was not checked in V8.10.0. I checked this and it seemed to PARTIALLY solve my issue.
When I have 2 or more instances of TEXTPAD open and right click on a file, the option of 'open in TEXTPAD session' displays with the latest file used in each also being displayed. When I close 1 of the 2 open TEXTPAD instances and right click on a file the option of 'open in TEXTPAD session' DOES NOT DISPLAY. So, with 2+ instances open the option is displayed .

I'm beginning to suspect a TEXTPAD code issue for this...

p.s. V8.1.2 works correctly no matter how many TEXTPAD instances are open, assuming at least 1 of course.

thanks Brian
THANKS BRIAN