Spellcheck fails to recognize English spelling error

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ineuw

Spellcheck fails to recognize English spelling error

Post by ineuw »

I am using TP 8.8.0 with English US, spellcheck installed with textpad_8.1_spell_check.exe. Both US English .tlx and .clx files are correctly installed. But, the spellcheck does not recognize simple spelling errors and hasn't functioned in a while.

What am I missing?
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Which language version of TextPad are you using? The English version already comes with American, British and Canadian English dictionaries and doesn't require a separate installation.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

I am using the English language version. What you are saying is that I should uninstall everything and reinstall it without the additional English dictionary exe package?
TextPad 8.16.0 64bit in English and TextPad 9.1.0 64bit in French, on two separate Windows installations
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

It would be worth trying. I've never installed a separate dictionary for TextPad and the spelling checker (rudimentary as it is) has always worked for me. The only thing I do for configuring the spelling checker after installing TextPad is go into Configure > Preferences > Spelling, select my desired dictionary ("English (UK)" in my case), and move the slider to More accurate.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

ak47wong wrote:It would be worth trying. I've never installed a separate dictionary for TextPad and the spelling checker (rudimentary as it is) has always worked for me. .
Thanks for convincing me to do the logical thing. A complete fresh install corrected the problem.

I now know, that the problem was caused by the constant reuse of the three files in the C:UsersineuwAppDataRoamingHeliosTextPad8.

I have a custom "ineuw" toolbar where all 16 Tools buttons are assigned to open text files in Textpad. I was trying preserve their configuration. I also must monitor the "Find" and "Replace" entries and remove old searches in the ConfigState.xml. This may be the wrong thing to do. If there is another solution, I don't know about it.

As for the spell check, I always found their dictionary to be advanced. On occasion, I also use their French and Spanish spell check. But then, it's possible also possible that my work is mostly with 19th and early 20th century documents.
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

I think the reason why the spell check still fails after awhile. The documents originate from, and edited in Linux text editors, and then opened in Windows later.

Should this affect a text document? The difference is only the line termination AFAIK.