Font Selection not remembered

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MarJohn

Font Selection not remembered

Post by MarJohn »

I want the same font for screen and printer as my default, but the setting is not 'remembered' between uses of TextPad.

After selecting Configure, Preferences, Document Classes, Text, Font, I select the font - Dark Courier - then Both, Apply, and OK. The dialogue box closes, and if I reopen it it still shows Both selected.

However, if I close TextPad, and then start it again, the font selection shows Screen instead of Both.

It's been doing this since at least version 8.1.2, and I've reported it previously, but I haven't had any success in finding out what's occurring.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I've always found that you need to select Both before selecting the font. Try that and see if it helps. The dialog does default to showing Screen when you re-open it, but the font selection should still be saved properly. It's a poorly designed dialog that I think has never been updated.
Last edited by ak47wong on Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmigoJack

Re: Font Selection not remembered

Post by AmigoJack »

Apply, and OK
In every dialog you'll ever encounter "Apply" means saving and letting the window open, while "OK" means saving and closing the window. Doing both is redundant. Always. Everywhere. I promise. The button "OK" is nothing more than clicking "Apply" (speak: save) and "Cancel" (speak: close) in that order.
MarJohn

Post by MarJohn »

ak47wong wrote:I've always found that you need to select Both first before selecting the font. Try that and see if it helps. The dialog does default to showing Screen when you re-open it, but the font selection should still be saved properly. It's a poorly designed dialog that I think has never been updated.
Agreed, the font selection is saved properly.

What concerns me is the fact that Both isn't saved, meaning I have to mess with the Preferences more often than should be necessary.