SOLVED-"File not found" "Try again"

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

FanSince2001

SOLVED-"File not found" "Try again"

Post by FanSince2001 »

Used Textpad for years. Ver 5.0.3 (32 bit) on WinXP:

If I try to open a (.txt or .htm... any file, I suspect) file that doesn't exist, I get a helpful "...does not exist. Create the file?". Lovely feature!!

Windows (expeltive) 10; Textpad ver 8.1.2 (64 bit):

"File not found. Check the file name and try again."

Any ideas? (Other than go to Linux!... Linux doesn't have Textpad, and I do almost all of my work in Textpad... one of the main reasons, along with Pegasus Mail and Shortkeys, that I haven't gone to Linux!)

May just be a Windows 10 "feature", beyond the control of Textpad programmers, I understand. I hope not! (I did take a trip around "Configure/ Preferences"... I hope I missed something?!!)
Last edited by FanSince2001 on Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Cannot reproduce with 8.1.2x64 on Win7x64 - when invoking

Code: Select all

TextPad.exe nothing
I get this dialog:

Unless this really is a Windows 10 thing it is important how you get your error message, speak: which is the command line that has been used? (you can find out by opening your Task Manager, watching tab "Processes" and adding the column "Command line")
FanSince2001

Post by FanSince2001 »

Thank you, AmigoJack...

I launched Textpad "the ordinary" way, i.e. with the button installed for me during a routine, un-fancy install of the program.

Tried to check how launched as per your guide... quess what... doesn't work that way in (expeletive) Windows 10. But checked shortcut... it was JUST invoking Textpad.exe... no command line parameters.

It isn't so much an "error" message I receive... just a little "you can't do that, and here's why" dialog, which seems to have replaced the old "That's odd. But we can help you if you want."

Any Windows 10 users able to get a new file created simply by trying to open it, before it exists? I was just getting used to using that nice little work-flow convenience. Sigh.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

FanSince2001 wrote:just a little "you can't do that, and here's why" dialog
So we're talking about a dialog of Windows, not belonging to TextPad?
FanSince2001 wrote:Any Windows 10 users able to get a new file created simply by trying to open it, before it exists?
Well, do the same with Notepad, which always comes with Windows - invoke

Code: Select all

notepad.exe nothing
and see what happens.
FanSince2001

Post by FanSince2001 »

Hard to say if dialog is Textpad generated or from Windows.

From WITHIN a running instance of TEXTPAD, as I routinely do on older installs of Textpad, under WinXP (and Win7, unless I am much mistaken) I invoked "Open file". As it happens, in the case today, the Open files dialog comes up, with Textpad logo in upper left, in he directory I want to create a file in, and then start editing that file.

I enter a file name (in the edit box at the bottom for saying what file you want to open)... a name not already represented by a file in that directory. What I get, I'll describe shortly. What I used to get was along the lines of "it doesn't exist, shall I create a file of that name for you?" I'd say "yes", and "boom"... there it was, empty so far, ready for working on.

What happens now, Win10, Textpad 8.1.2:

A very plain little box. "Open file(x) in title bar, which has "close dialog" "X" at right hand end. A yellow warning triangle with "!". The name of the file I wanted to create and edit. "File not found. Check the File Name and try again". And an "Ok" button.

===
NEW INFORMATION...

I'm also finding that the entry under the File heading of the menu, "Rename..," is now always grayed out, unavailable. Related?

===
As for...

[quote]Well, do the same with Notepad...[/quote]

I doubt that Notepad did it even in WinXP... Open Office Writer didn't, in any case. Pretty sure the "CREATE and open the file for you", elegantly, was part of Textpad, not the OS. In any case... I want to do this in the course of a running instance of Textpad, not at the time I boot the program. (I always have a number of documents on the go within the EXCELLENT text editor.)
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

FanSince2001 wrote:I want to do this in the course of a running instance of Textpad, not at the time I boot the program
Now we're getting closer - that's what I meant in describing how one can reproduce your experience.

Yes: CTRL+O in TextPad to open (an existing) file, but then in the "file name" textbox entering a file that doesn't exist also gives me the dialog "file doesn't exist - want to create?". This indeed may be system dependant: while i.e. Windows 7 supports such a behaviour in the open dialog, Windows 10 might not.

However, this leads me to asking why you don't just create a new document (CTRL+N) and then save it (CTRL+S or F12)?
FanSince2001

Post by FanSince2001 »

There was a time when if you had the following open...

AppleEssay.txt
FishEssay.txt

And then started a new doc (ctrl-N), that opened, initially, as "Document1", between Apple and Fish.

And if you then saved it as ZooEssay, it was STILL between Apple and Fish, not AFTER them, where it would be, in correct alphabetical order.

THAT has been cured... ("Document", saved as "Zoo" "moves to" the right place... now... hurrah!)....

So! My old practice no longer necessary.

Thank you!

(I'll start a new thread for the "rename" issue.)